OE won't load

Old May 27th 11, 03:40 PM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
dadiOH[_3_]

Default OE won't load

THE PROBLEM

When my wife tries to access OE the splash loads but nothing else. Task
manager shows msimn.exe is using 100% (or close to it) of CPU.

THE MACHINE

CPU - Athlon
OS - XP SP3
IE - 6.00.2900.5512.xpsp.080413-2111)
OE - 6.00.2900.5512 (xpsp.080413-2105)

WHAT I'VE TRIED

1. I restored a recent image from when I *thought* OE was OK. No help

2. I restored an older image from when I *know* OE was OK. No help

3. I moved all dbx files from the store. No help

4. Checked machine for malware...couple of tracking cookies, nothing else.
Removed cookies. No help

5. I deleted msimn.exe from the Outlook Express folder so the system would
replace it from dllcache. No help

6. I deleted *all* files from the Outlook Express folder so the system
would replace them from dllcache. No help

7. Tried an over the top install of XP but it faulted out, don't recall the
specific reason.

WHERE NOW?

Danged if I know. Other than wipe the partition and reinstall XP which I
really don't want to do as her work place has installed stuff which would be
a nuisance to get back.

I could install a different mail client but she is used to OE and has
limited computer skills (limited = almost none). Besides, I hate to be
thwarted and would like to find the problem and the fix. The thing that
really puzzles me is why the problem persists after restoring a known good
image.

Any and all suggestions welcomed.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Old May 27th 11, 04:13 PM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
dadiOH[_3_]

dadiOH wrote:
[...]

I also tried...

8. SFC /scannow. It wants files from the install CD - which in the drive -
but claims the CD is different from the one which was used to install XP.
It isn't, it's the exact same one.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Old May 27th 11, 04:23 PM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
Desk Rabbit

On 27/05/2011 15:40, dadiOH wrote:
[...]

Install Thunderbird and tell her it's the new OE

Old May 27th 11, 04:32 PM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
Roy Smith[_2_]

Desk Rabbit wrote:
[...]

Or just install Windows Live Mail which technically is the new OE.
Hopefully the new install will correct whatever problem that OE is
having now.

--

Roy Smith
Windows XP Home
Old May 27th 11, 04:37 PM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
Roy[_5_]

On May 27, 8:40*am, "dadiOH" wrote:
[...]

Get it athttp://mysite.verizon.net/xico

==
Google "repair OE".
==
Old May 27th 11, 06:01 PM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
~BD~[_2_]

dadiOH wrote:
[...]

Read here 'dadiOH' - Fixmbr (Recovery Console)

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/termsf/p/fixmbr.htm

The fixmbr utility will write a master boot record to the hard drive
that you're currently using to boot into Windows XP. This will repair
any corruption or damage that the master boot record may have.

HTH

Good luck!
Old May 27th 11, 10:00 PM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
ChairMan

In ,
dadiOH spewed forth:
[...]

You did end the msimn.exe in the processes, right?
If not, end it and try restarting. I've had OE and Firefox do exactly
what you're talking about and like you, looked in processes and both
were already running, ended them and all was okay
Otherwise, I dunno

Old May 27th 11, 11:23 PM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
SC Tom

"dadiOH" wrote in message
[...]

Go to Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs, Add/Remove Windows Components,
and remove the check next to Outlook Express. Click Next and be on your way.
After a reboot (whether or not it says to), repeat the process except put a
check next to OE. That will give you a clean, renewed version (hopefully).
--
SC Tom

Old May 27th 11, 11:29 PM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
Roy Smith[_2_]

~BD~ wrote:
dadiOH wrote:
[...]

So what does this have to do with fixing a corrupt Outlook Express
message database?

--

Roy Smith
Windows XP Home