OE won't load

Old May 28th 11, 12:58 AM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
Bruce Hagen[_4_]

Default OE won't load

"dadiOH" wrote in message
THE PROBLEM

When my wife tries to access OE the splash loads but nothing else. Task
manager shows msimn.exe is using 100% (or close to it) of CPU.

THE MACHINE

CPU - Athlon
OS - XP SP3
IE - 6.00.2900.5512.xpsp.080413-2111)
OE - 6.00.2900.5512 (xpsp.080413-2105)

WHAT I'VE TRIED

1. I restored a recent image from when I *thought* OE was OK. No help

2. I restored an older image from when I *know* OE was OK. No help

3. I moved all dbx files from the store. No help

4. Checked machine for malware...couple of tracking cookies, nothing
else. Removed cookies. No help

5. I deleted msimn.exe from the Outlook Express folder so the system
would replace it from dllcache. No help

6. I deleted *all* files from the Outlook Express folder so the system
would replace them from dllcache. No help

7. Tried an over the top install of XP but it faulted out, don't recall
the specific reason.

WHERE NOW?

Danged if I know. Other than wipe the partition and reinstall XP which
I really don't want to do as her work place has installed stuff which
would be a nuisance to get back.

I could install a different mail client but she is used to OE and has
limited computer skills (limited = almost none). Besides, I hate to be
thwarted and would like to find the problem and the fix. The thing that
really puzzles me is why the problem persists after restoring a known
good image.

Any and all suggestions welcomed.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Did you delete Folders.dbx in the message store while OE was *closed*? If
not, do it.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Oct. 1, 2004 ~ Sept. 30, 2010

Old May 28th 11, 02:17 AM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
dadiOH[_3_]

ChairMan wrote:
In ,
dadiOH spewed forth:
[...]

You did end the msimn.exe in the processes, right?

Right.

If not, end it and try restarting. I've had OE and Firefox do exactly
what you're talking about and like you, looked in processes and both
were already running, ended them and all was okay

Otherwise, I dunno

Me either

Especially since the problem persisted after restoring an image that I know
was good...that should not happen.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Old May 28th 11, 02:19 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
Tester[_3_]

Create a new profile/username for her and and this should resolve itself
automatically.

when you get problems like this, the best thing is to check that the
profile isn't corrupted. This can only be done by creating a new
profile. If the new profile works, then she can copy her personal
documents to this new profile and then zap the old profile because there
no point in wasting time to try to correct it because there is no
solutions for bloated windows system.

hth

Old May 28th 11, 02:24 AM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
dadiOH[_3_]

SC Tom wrote:
"dadiOH" wrote in message
[...]

Go to Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs, Add/Remove Windows
Components, and remove the check next to Outlook Express. Click Next
and be on your way. After a reboot (whether or not it says to),
repeat the process except put a check next to OE. That will give you
a clean, renewed version (hopefully).

Unfortunately, it won't. "Uninstalling" OE just dumps shortuts. I did
manually dump the whole OE folder so the system would stick it back from the
dllcache - which it did - but the problem persists.

It *can* be reinstalled via the IE6 set up exe - which I have archived - but
it involves nerfing the registry so XP thinks it isn't installed.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Old May 28th 11, 02:26 AM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
dadiOH[_3_]

Bruce Hagen wrote:
"dadiOH" wrote in message
[...]

Yeah. Actually, I zipped up all the dbx files in the store and then tried
OE. Hangs. I'll try *just* Folders.dbx, thanks for the suggestion.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Old May 28th 11, 04:13 AM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
OldGringo38

On Or About This Day In History Fri, 27 May 2011 21:24:27 -0400, dadiOH
Squinted At The Keyboard And Pecked Out The Following:

SC Tom wrote:
"dadiOH" wrote in message
[...]

...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips
& tricks on this and that. Get it at http://mysite.verizon.net/xico

Go to Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs, Add/Remove Windows
Components, and remove the check next to Outlook Express. Click Next
and be on your way. After a reboot (whether or not it says to), repeat
the process except put a check next to OE. That will give you a clean,
renewed version (hopefully).

Unfortunately, it won't. "Uninstalling" OE just dumps shortuts. I did
manually dump the whole OE folder so the system would stick it back from
the dllcache - which it did - but the problem persists.

It *can* be reinstalled via the IE6 set up exe - which I have archived -
but it involves nerfing the registry so XP thinks it isn't installed.

I haven't had a problem with OE since March when I switched to Linux.

--
Just West Of Nowhere
Enjoy Life, And Live It To Its Fullest
Old May 28th 11, 04:17 AM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
OldGringo38

On Or About This Day In History Sat, 28 May 2011 03:13:19 +0000,
OldGringo38 Squinted At The Keyboard And Pecked Out The Following:

SC Tom wrote:
"dadiOH" wrote in message
[...]

PS: Or IE, or Windows as a mater of fact. g

Old May 28th 11, 04:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
Tester[_3_]

OldGringo38 wrote:
PS: Or IE, or Windows as a mater of fact. g

But you still like hanging around on Windows Newsgroups as a matter of
fact. Does Linux makes you very lonely?

Old May 28th 11, 06:57 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
~BD~[_2_]

Tester wrote:

Create a new profile/username for her and and this should resolve itself
automatically.

when you get problems like this, the best thing is to check that the
profile isn't corrupted. This can only be done by creating a new
profile. If the new profile works, then she can copy her personal
documents to this new profile and then zap the old profile because there
no point in wasting time to try to correct it because there is no
solutions for bloated windows system.

hth

I'd be *really* surprised if the OP had not done this already (I had
considered mentioning it!) - but it would be interesting to know!
Old May 28th 11, 07:10 AM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
~BD~[_2_]

Roy Smith wrote:

So what does this have to do with fixing a corrupt Outlook Express
message database?

The OP said he restored from a disk image - and the problem persisted.

Why?

Not only that, he said "Other than wipe the partition" - methinks he has
more than one partition (let's say a C: and a D: drive) and believes he
could simply reinstall MS Windows on the C: drive and let whatever is
lurking on the D: drive to remain there.

IMO that is unsatisfactory when reinstalling. The whole drive needs to
be wiped clean to be *sure* that no 'nastie' is left lurking to come
back and bite you!

As a last resort, before reinstallation, he could try using DrWeb
http://www.freedrweb.com/cureit/

Worth a try! ;-)