When I start OE...................

Old March 7th 11, 09:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bill[_18_]

Default When I start OE...................

Why is it that when I startup Outlook
Express that Windows Messenger also
starts?

I seem to recall a check-box regarding
this, but I can't find it anywhere in
OE Options.

Thanks,
Bill

Old March 7th 11, 05:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
N. Miller

On Mon, 7 Mar 2011 00:09:00 -0800, Bill wrote:

Why is it that when I startup Outlook
Express that Windows Messenger also
starts?

I seem to recall a check-box regarding
this, but I can't find it anywhere in
OE Options.

It's been years since I used MSOE (yes, I still have two computers running
Windows XP, but the only reason to use MSOE is for HTTPMail access to
Hotmail, and MSOE can't do that any more). I've gone so far as to disable it
from the control panel.

But I seem to recall that you need to check options in Messnger, as well.
Specifically, which version of "Windows Messenger" do you have? MS uses a
screwy naming convention, and had a couple of overlapping versions available
that still run under Windows XP.

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
Old March 7th 11, 06:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bill[_18_]

"Windows Messenger" is version 4.7.3001 and the
version of OE is 6.00.2900.5512.

Old March 11th 11, 11:04 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
123Jim

"Bill" wrote in message
Why is it that when I startup Outlook
Express that Windows Messenger also
starts?

I seem to recall a check-box regarding
this, but I can't find it anywhere in
OE Options.

The setting is in OE
Tools options general
uncheck 'Automatically log on to Windows Messenger'

Old March 11th 11, 06:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bill[_18_]

That's where I expected to find it, but there
are only 3 options under the General tab &
catagory, about Inbox, Newsgroups and
marking un-read messages.

Old March 12th 11, 09:25 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
N. Miller

On Mon, 7 Mar 2011 09:42:36 -0800, Bill wrote:

"Windows Messenger" is version 4.7.3001 and the
version of OE is 6.00.2900.5512.

That is not even MSN Messenger. As I recall, I totally disbled the "Windows
Messenger" which came with Windows XP, and installed "MSN Messenger"
instead. But that was before SP3, and so long ago I hardly remembered that
it even existed. I am on "Windows Live Messenger", now; the replacement for
"MSN Messenger".