Find Message doesn't tell me folder path

Old June 28th 10, 11:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Ron Sommer

Default Find Message doesn't tell me folder path

Including the full path in the folder name will create the problem of
displaying the names in the folder list.

I am trying to figure out why you would need to know what the full path is.
You can open, copy to another folder,or move to another folder by right
clicking on the message.
The only thing that you can't do is open the folder to view all of the
messages in that folder.

You are correct. There is no way to find the path.
--
Ron Sommer

"roricka" wrote in message ...

snipped
Look, if OE has a weakness, that you can't find folder paths, then sure,
each folder should include its path in its name. Is this the case?

Thank you for the suggestion about marking unread. I have dozens of
folders containing unread mail so it doesn't help, I'm afraid, but it is
a good idea. However, in answer to my original question, I am assuming
that your answer is "there is no way to do that" -- i.e., there is no
way to obtain the path to the found parent folder. Or more specifically,
there is no way to find the path of a given stored email. Is that
correct?

snipped

Old June 28th 10, 03:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear [MS MVP]

Expand all folders in Folders pane and look for it.

roricka wrote:
May I speak frankly (and gimme a break -- everyone has a right to vent a
tad)? I asked a simple question. How do I find the path of the folder
that is reported when I do a Find Message in OE. If you don't understand
the question, all you have to do is say I don't understand (i.e., reread
my original post. It's clear "check the subfolder box" couldn't be the
answer I was looking for). And if you think it is impossible, all you
have to say is I think it is impossible. What I am really really tired
of is people giving unsolicited behavioral advice. Did I ask for
behavioral advice? Don't get ****ed. Hear me out. I wrote that I might
have duplicate folder names in case you were to write, as is incredibly
common, "well, why would you ever want to do..." or " well, why would
you ever set up like..." etc. etc. etc. I DON"T HAVE FOLDERS WITH
DUPLICATE NAMES. I only mentioned that as an example where just having
the parent folder might not be enough. And besides, you are wrong. There
is absolutely nothing wrong with having folders with duplicate names. Of
course I have good backups. How patronizing of you to ask me about that.
Look, if OE has a weakness, that you can't find folder paths, then sure,
each folder should include its path in its name. Is this the case?

Thank you for the suggestion about marking unread. I have dozens of
folders containing unread mail so it doesn't help, I'm afraid, but it is
a good idea. However, in answer to my original question, I am assuming
that your answer is "there is no way to do that" -- i.e., there is no
way to obtain the path to the found parent folder. Or more specifically,
there is no way to find the path of a given stored email. Is that
correct?

'PA Bear [MS MVP Wrote:
;350254']WYSIWYG.

None of you user-created folders should have the same name. Rename any
such
folders to avoid such self-made confusion (e.g., Saved Messages1, Saved

Messages2, etc.; Archive2007, Archive2008, etc.).

roricka wrote:-
Indeed PA Bear, it tells me the name of the sub FOLDER. But my
question
is, what is the PATH to that folder? Let's say it's 3 subfolders deep,
and I gave it an obscure name. Or let's say I have several subfolders
(under different parent folders) with the same name. Simply having the
name of the subfolder doesn't give me enough info to find the email
(or,
more importantly, OTHER emails that may be in that same subfolder.)
You
dig?? How do I figure that out, without having to expand every folder
and look down every path?

'PA Bear [MS MVP Wrote:-
;350242']If the "Include subfolders" option is checked, the subfolder
name should be
displayed in the Results.

roricka wrote:-
When I use Find Message (Ctrl-Shift-F), the resulting list only says
the
folder name of the mail. If I've created subfolders, it doesn't tell
me
how to find that folder, i.e., the "path" to the folder. Is there a
way
to do this. I have a fairly deep structure, and sometimes I have to
spend a lot of time finding the location of a found email.

How do other people handle this problem?

Thanks. - --

Old December 29th 11, 07:37 PM
roricka roricka is offline
Junior Member

Ron,

When I find an email, it is usually stored somewhere that made sense to me when I did it, but it may have been a long time ago. I might want to see why I put it there, and what else is there -- in fact that may be the very reason I searched for the email in the first place. So when I find it, I would like to open the folder in the tree, to see its context.

I guess it's just me, but I get annoyed when I ask "how" to do something, and the answer comes back either a) you don't REALLY want to do that -- here's something that you surely would RATHER do [because that's what I like to do, so everyone must be like me], or b) WHY would you ever want to do something like that???

Now, in fairness to you, you not only answered with b) but you also gave the REAL answer (i.e., "you can't"). Thank you for that. But are you sure? Isn't it odd that OE lets you build deep trees, but never lets you see the drilled-down path??

Anyway, please -- no offense. Happy New Year! and thank you again.

Roricka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Sommer View Post

Old April 21st 17, 06:59 PM
icmeler2000 icmeler2000 is offline
Junior Member

roricka.

Are you still interested in a suggested answer to your problem? I believe I have a suggestion/answer that no-one had suggested thus far. I realise time has moved on and what I would be suggesting is certainly usable in the WLM I'm currently using NOW in 2017 i.e. Version 2012 (Build 16.4.3528.0331) and might not have been available when you posted your problem, but hey you'd want to do it now anyway, right?

If you're interested in my two-penny-worth, then please reply.

icmeler2000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roricka View Post