Delete E-Mails

Old June 21st 10, 08:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
hot rodder

Default Delete E-Mails

I am unable to delete from my inbox. The only thing I can do is transfer them
to the junk file, but I can't delete them from there either. I am running XP
version 5.1 with service pack 3. I might also add that I'm a senior with
limited computer savy, so if you can help please explain thing as detailed as
possible. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Old June 21st 10, 08:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen[_4_]

Move most of your messages out of the Inbox and move any messages you want
to save out of Deleted Items and Sent Items and then close OE.

Tools | Options | Maintenance | Store Folder will reveal the location of
your Outlook Express files. Write the location down and navigate to it in
Windows Explorer or, copy and paste it into Start | Run.

In WinXP, Win2K & Win2K3, the OE user files (DBX and WAB) are by default
marked as hidden. To view these files in Windows Explorer, you must enable
Show Hidden Files and Folders under Start | Control Panel | Folder Options
Icon | View, or in Windows Explorer | Tools | Folder Options | View.

With OE closed, find the Deleted Items.dbx and Sent Items.dbx files and
delete them. New files will be created automatically when you open OE.

Compact all folders as described below.

To help prevent this in the futu

Do not archive mail in the Inbox or Sent Items. Create your own user
defined folders and move the messages you wish to save to them. Empty
Deleted Items folder daily. Although dbx files have a theoretical capacity
of 2GB, I recommend about a 300MB max for less chance of corruption.

Information about the maximum file size of the .dbx files that are used by
Outlook Express:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=903095

After you are done, follow up by compacting your folders manually while
working *offline* and do it often.

Click on Outlook Express at the top of the folder tree so no folders are
open. Then: File | Work Offline (or double click Working Online in the
Status Bar). File | Folder | Compact all folders. Don't touch anything
until the compacting is completed.

Turn off e-mail scanning in your anti-virus program. It is a redundant
layer of protection that eats up CPUs and causes a multitude of problems
such as time-outs and account setting changes. Your up-to-date A/V program
will continue to protect you sufficiently. For more, see:
http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

Old June 21st 10, 09:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear [MS MVP]

Asked in Windows Update newsgroup & reply crossposted to OE General
newsgroup on 20 June 2010:

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...7310e1b84e41b0