OE6 and other clients work on flashdrive? and more

Old June 21st 10, 01:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Robert Hunt

Default OE6 and other clients work on flashdrive? and more

Can OE6 be installed on a flash drive?

(Long story re dialup vs high speed in my area) but I have to use dialup, no
alternative at present. Large emails choke my line, so I sequester them on
the web-based server.
AT&T used to have a great in-house webmail system, but due to degenerative
cognitive disease, they switched to Yahoo Mail base.

So now, when I have the large files, I still have to get to a high-speed
computer (usually at the library) to read them. Earlier, with the old AT&T,
I could archive any number of selected msgs and have them d/loaded to my
flash drive in a zip format. However, now, Yahoo doesn't allow that group
zipping.

To solve this, I want to install a client email program onto a flash drive,
use it to d/load the large msgs; then I want to transfer those messages at
home onto my OE6. (Don't ask why I need to do this, it's just easier for me
to work it this way in the long run...) I could do it all with the old AT&T
system...

I'm trying Thunderbird Portable, which d/loads the msgs fine; but it won't
let me transfer them over to an OE folder or even a Windows folder.

Incidently, when using a public computer, I cannot invoke the T-bird from
the flash drive; local restrictions apply. So I have to get to somebody
else's high speed computer, where it works fine at d/loading...

Ideas? Suggetions?

Old June 21st 10, 03:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear [MS MVP]

Can OE6 be installed on a flash drive?

No, nor should you locate your message store on such a drive; cf.
http://www.insideoe.com/faqs/why.htm#network
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Old June 21st 10, 08:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Steve Cochran

You cannot rely on the message store on a flash drive, as when it disconnects, the message store will get reloaded to the local computer.

What you can do is just about as simple. Download the messages you wish in OE on the "high speed" machine. Then create a new folder in OE move the messages to that folder (call it Xfer for instance). Then copy the Xfer.dbx file (Tools | Options | Maintenance | Store folder will indicate the message store location (hidden files)) to the flash drive and take it home. Then you can manually import the dbx file as described here (www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx#imp1) into your home system. Its very simple.

steve