Unable To Restore OE6 .DBX Files

Old June 19th 10, 04:51 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen[_4_]

Default Unable To Restore OE6 .DBX Files

You're welcome. As I said, I never used the program, so you already know
more about it than I do.

Good luck with the rest. (And backup offsite).
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

"ColTom2" wrote in message

Hi Bruce:

Thanks a million, as I recovered some of them, but it's going to take
me
awhile to try and sort everything out etc.

I owe you a BIG one!

ColTom2

"Bruce Hagen" wrote in message
So, Ctrl+Delete bypassed the Recycle Bin. I never did like that option.
But, this 'may' be better for you. This program, (I have not used it),
may
be able to find and restore the folder with the messages that was in My
Documents, and it's freeware.

Recuva
http://www.piriform.com/recuva

Might as well try this first.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

"ColTom2" wrote in message

Hi Bruce:

Now that I think of it here is what I did.

I created a "Kit Folder" in My Documents and then dragged all the
emails
into this folder and deleted these emails from the OE6 Kit Folder after
being sure they were in the Kit Folder in My Documents.

Something caused a certain number of My Document folders to appear on
the
Desktop and I thought the were duplicates so I hit Cntrl+ Delete and
deleted
them from my desktop. Afterwards I found out they had been transferred
from
the My Documents folder and were not duplicate.

The reason they are so important is they were all emails related to my
wife's recent passing. By dragging them to the My Documents folder and
then
deleting them from the OE6 Kit Folder would they possibly be where I
could
recover them from the Deleted Items.dbx file?

Based upon the above do you have any recommendations, if so, I would
be
most appreciative to you based upon their being applicable to my
deceased
wife.

I have done anything so stupid in my life.....

Thanks,

ColTom2

"Bruce Hagen" wrote in message
You did check Deleted Items for the missing folder, correct?

If all the contents of a folder are moved or deleted, the size of the
dbx
file will not be reduced until you compact. IOW, a 49KB file may
actually
be empty.

It does appear that you tried to replace the folder in the correct
fashion, but review this to be sure.

How to restore individual dbx files
http://www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx#imp1

Have you checked for a bak file in the Recycle Bin? If you did in fact
do
it correctly, and have no backup folder, then you will need this tool.

DBXpress
http://www.oehelp.com/DBXpress/Default.aspx

You may need to run it in the Extract From Disk Mode if its normal
recovery mode fails to find the lost messages.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

"ColTom2" wrote in message

Hi:

I had some files in an OE6 local named folder "Kit" and deleted the
folder
in error. I created another folder by the same name and transferred
some
files to it before I realized the folder did not contain all the prior
Kit.dbx files. I deleted this folder.

When I open Windows Explorer and go to the Store Folder I can see the
Kit.dbx file (49,512KB). However, when I follow the prior instructions
restore this folder by dragging it to the desktop and then creating a
new
folder in OE6 by the exact name and opening it and then closing OE6,
then
dragging the Kit.dbx folder from the desktop back to the Store folder
get
a Prompt asking do I want to replace it and I say Yes, but it is not
restored, as the folder is empty.

What am I doing wrong?

These files are most important to me and I need help badly.

Thanks,

ColTom2

Old June 19th 10, 01:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Steve Cochran

You might also check the Recycle bin for bak files that correspond to the dbx file. And you really need to backup the messages if you consider them important. Your hard drive could fail and that would be it.

steve

"ColTom2" wrote in message

Hi:

I had some files in an OE6 local named folder "Kit" and deleted the
folder
in error. I created another folder by the same name and transferred
some
files to it before I realized the folder did not contain all the prior
Kit.dbx files. I deleted this folder.

When I open Windows Explorer and go to the Store Folder I can see the
Kit.dbx file (49,512KB). However, when I follow the prior instructions
restore this folder by dragging it to the desktop and then creating a
new
folder in OE6 by the exact name and opening it and then closing OE6,
then
dragging the Kit.dbx folder from the desktop back to the Store folder I

Old June 20th 10, 12:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
ColTom2

Hi Bruce:

While Recuva did recover seemingly most of the files I wanted it did not
recover all of them. In addition, it recovered a lot of duplicate emails for
some reason and also did not recover any attachments to emails. Especially
of note was emails with .jpg and .pdf attachments. It was better than
nothing, but the application sure leaves a lot to be desired in recovery of
files.

Thanks again,

Old June 20th 10, 02:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen[_4_]

Sorry to here that. Try a Google search for other recovery methods. Or,
you could try DBXpress to search the HDD for fragments of the dbx file.
Nothing beats a backup, but too late for that now.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]