Restoring .dbx news files

Old April 2nd 06, 12:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bill Snow

Default Restoring .dbx news files

Does the information given the last few days apply to trying to recover
corrupt news group file as well? When I tried to follow the import
procedures I did not get offered newsgroups to copy to, only "Inbox, Send
Items, etc.

Bill Snow

Old April 2nd 06, 01:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Jim Pickering

No, newsgroups are not recoverable without a lot of effort and strict
adherence to a particular process.

You cannot "restore" old DBX newsgroup files and expect them to be
recognized by Outlook Express. Newsgroup subscriptions and the associated
DBX files for them are keyed to specific identities and those that are
readable in one identity are not readable in another identity unless you
have "cloned" your system as outlined at this website:
http://www.insideoe.com/backup/bu_full.htm
--
Jim Pickering, MVP, Outlook Express
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/pr...8-1171988A62D6

Old April 2nd 06, 02:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bill Snow

Thanks Jim,
I am able to copy the old discussion group files to the current OE.dbx
location and they display as long as I am off line. Once I go online it
downloads new messages and the original ones just vaporize

I have another problem with mail that freezes my computer. Will do a new
post with that subject..

Bill

Old April 2nd 06, 03:37 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Jim Pickering

What's happening in effect, is that your old newsgroup DBX files are not
associated with your identity, so when you connect to the newsgroup, it
attempts to synch your local copy with the messages on the server. It does
not recognize any stored messages since they are not appropriate to your
identity, so it will attempt to remove them, and then download all new
messages to your local copy. There is only the one workaround, called
"cloning" that can overcome the problem.
--

"Bill Snow" wrote in message
Does the information given the last few days apply to trying to recover
corrupt news group file as well? When I tried to follow the import
procedures I did not get offered newsgroups to copy to, only "Inbox,

Send
Items, etc.

Bill Snow

Restoring News Groups JasonA Outlook Express 8 April 13th 06 10:09 AM
dbx files Aftermath Outlook Express 1 January 16th 06 04:45 AM
Missing Outlook files after restoring lilley Outlook - Installation 2 January 14th 06 07:49 PM
DBX Files Dave Outlook Express 4 January 14th 06 12:39 AM
restoring outlook files lilley Outlook - Installation 2 January 10th 06 11:55 PM