OE6 -- Reducing DBX File Size?

Old June 21st 10, 11:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear, MS MVP[_2_]

Default OE6 -- Reducing DBX File Size?

I've read all of your posts in this thread to-date.

1a. Move any messages that you want to keep out of Sent Items and
Deleted Items folders and into other local OE folders you've created
for archiving (saving) such messages.

1b. Move 99% of your messages in your Inbox folder to other local OE
folders, too.

2a. Write down the location of your identity's store (http://
www.insideoe.com/files/store.htm#storemain).

2b. Enable 'Show Hidden Files and Folders' via Start | Control Panel |
Folder Options | View (cf. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...torial62.html).

3. Close OE.

4. In Windows Explorer, navigate to your store folder, find & delete
the files Outbox.dbx, Sent Items.dbx, and Deleted Items.dbx.

To avoid such problems in the future, adhere to the following caveats:

- Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to
local folders created for this purpose.

- Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

- Frequently perform a manual compact of all OE folders while "working
offline". More at http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm

- Do not cancel Automatic Compacting, should it occur, and do not
attempt to close OE via Task Manager or shutdown your machine if
Automatic Compacting is taking place.

- Disable email scanning by your anti-virus application. It can cause
corruption (i.e., loss of messages) and provides no additional
protection:

http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

On May 21, 2:26*am, "Guv Bob"
wrote:
Hi Folks,

My in-box folder was getting too large, so I deleted about 3/4 of the emails but still the DBX folder shows the same size - 200MB. *I tried to compress it and it says there is not enough hard drive space (I have 900 MB of empty space).

Any idea how to reduce the size of the inbox?

Old June 22nd 10, 02:57 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Guv Bob

Thanks very much, PA! Will take your advice.

Any idea why, when I compact a folder, the file size still remains the same? I've done this with small and large folders with the same result. Is this normal or possibly something amiss on my system? If normal, I don't see the reason for compacting if there's no disk space to gain.

Thanks again for the tips.

Bob

Old June 22nd 10, 06:19 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear [MS MVP]

Your current Identity may be damaged, especially if its the default Main
Identity. Try one or more of your accounts in a new Named Identity...

File | Identities | Add new identity

Assuming all is well, (1) compact all folders in the old identity, (2)
import messages from the old identity into the new one, and then (3) delete
the old one (File | Identities | Manage Identities).

To avoid such corruption in future, adhere to all of the caveats I posted
earlier.