Outlook Banter

-   Outlook Express (http://www.outlookbanter.com/outlook-express/)
-   -   Security Update for Outlook Express released 11 May 2010 (http://www.outlookbanter.com/outlook-express/102505-security-update-outlook-express-released.html)

PA Bear [MS MVP] May 12th 10 02:03 AM

Security Update for Outlook Express released 11 May 2010

[crossposted to OE General & OE6 newsgroups as an FYI]

MS10-030: Vulnerability in Outlook Express...could allow remote code
execution:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978542

spamlet May 12th 10 03:59 PM

Security Update for Outlook Express released 11 May 2010

Cheers:

Now all I need is a way to stop it telling me I need to restart my computer
every 5 minutes!
;-)

Bob Lucas[_2_] May 12th 10 04:57 PM

Security Update for Outlook Express released 11 May 2010

There is a very easy way to prevent it from asking repeatedly for
a re-start. Restart your computer !!

However, this month's Critical Updates has raised an interesting
issue. The package included the Windows Malicious Software
Removal Tool - May 2010 (KB890830) and the Security Update for
Windows XP (KB978542). There were no other items.

I have two Win XP (SP3) computers (a desktop and a laptop). I
allowed Windows Update to download and install both items. The
laptop prompted for a restart. The desktop computer did not. I
wonder why.

spamlet May 12th 10 05:48 PM

Security Update for Outlook Express released 11 May 2010

Takes forever to restart this old Inspiron, and update always says 'you may
get on with other stuff while this is going on': then it pesters you until
you give up! Very annoying.

Haven't done the desktop yet: but if, like me, you have Pro on the pc and
Home on the lap top perhaps they behave differently - as they do over
permissions for example.

Cheers,