to transfer OE 6 files to another XP computer

Old April 26th 10, 02:47 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen[_4_]

Default to transfer OE 6 files to another XP computer

OEFB has not been available since 2003 or 2004. OEQB still is available.
If you have the backup, then it should work. You would know better than I
how it works. I use OEQB.

Outlook Express is a component of IE6 and both are a component of XP, so
there is nothing to load. OE will already exist. As long as you understand
the program, go ahead.

If that fails for some reason:

I assume the old PC is operable other than the OE issue? Along with your
current backup, I would suggest making another, just in case.

In Windows Explorer, right click on the Outlook Express folder, (Message
Store), and Send To | My Documents. Copy this to CD or flash.

To restore, copy to the new machine's Desktop. In OE: File | Import |
Messages. Select Microsoft Outlook Express 6 and Import from an OE6 Store
Directory and point to where you saved it.

--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

"Jack B" wrote in message
Yes, New pc is WindowsXP.

Note: I am not currently at "Old pc" or "New pc".
Old pc now exhibits a problem with OE; OE will not let me make any
replies
to any emails or posts. It says "Outlook Express is incorrectly
configured - please reinstall."

I did find OEFB on Old pc and did a backup even though it said OE was
running (it wasn't -- Task Mgr did not show it running). I'm not sure
if
that will work on New pc. It created two folders under a directory I
made
called Programs. The folders OEFB created are
"OE freebie backupOEFBbackupApr25"
and
"OEFBbackupApr25"

The "OE freebie backupOEFBbackupApr25" is empty, but "OEFBbackupApr25"
appears to have all the identities. I have put them both on New pc
under
Programs. Should I try a OEFB restore on New pc then load Outlook
Express?

"Bruce Hagen" wrote in message
You import, not paste, into OE. Assuming your new machine is XP. If
it's
Vista, their are different instructions. If its Windows 7, you have to
decide what e-mail client you are going to use first as there is no
built-in e-mail client like previous Windows versions.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

"Jack B" wrote in message
The method is a bit confusing.

Also, where do I paste everything on the new PC hard drive?

And do I install OE on the new PC after I've done this?

Jack

"Bruce Hagen" wrote in message
Backup & Resto
http://www.insideoe.com/backup/

Backing up and Cloning your OE Identities:
http://www.insideoe.com/backup/clone.htm
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

"Jack B" wrote in message
I need to transfer my OE 6 files from one XP computer to another --
what
is
the best way to do that?

Jack

Old April 26th 10, 07:07 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Jack B

I almost forgot I had OEFB on the pc -- used it years ago but then didn't
because I was backing up the HD. Just never had to retrieve anything.
Apparently I still have the installation file.

The Old pc crashes frequently now, and OE is not acting right -- probably
due to one of the crashes.

The New pc has IE8. I haven't used OE yet on that pc. I guess there's
nothing left to do except try OEFB on that pc. Putting in the right backup
location seems to be the only issue for me, since OEFB seems to add to the
name I use. Anyway, as you know, there's a lot more to OE than just the
messages, especially if there are many OE folders and multiple email
accounts.

I'm apprehensive about taking the next step. I suppose if I mess up I can
simply try again.

Jack

----------------------------------

Old April 26th 10, 02:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen[_4_]

AFAIK, you would:

Install OEFB on the new machine.
Copy the Backup folder to the new machine.
Open OEFB and set the folder association.
Restore.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

Old April 26th 10, 03:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Jack B

And then run OE for the first time, right?

Jack

====================

Old April 26th 10, 03:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen[_4_]

It shouldn't matter if you have run OE yet or not, *except* any new mail
would be lost. So if that is your concern, then yes, do wait to run OE.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

Old April 26th 10, 06:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Ron Sommer

Running OE on a new machine will not install the accounts for email to
download, so there will not be any new messages.
--
Ron Sommer
MS MVP- Windows Live Mail

Old April 26th 10, 11:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Ron Sommer

I am not familiar with OEFB, so I did not comment on it.
OE can be run to read eml or nws files and read newsgroups with having an
email account installed.
--
Ron Sommer
MS MVP- Windows Live Mail