"All Day Event" Time Display Issue

Old May 29th 09, 05:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
JohnB

Default "All Day Event" Time Display Issue

I noticed that when I create an all day event that just lasts a single day if
I do not know an exact start time but want it to show on the calendar, in a
table calendar view the event shows as being two days when it is really one.
The format shows it starting at 12:00AM and ending at 12:00 AM the following
day.

The logical thing that should happen is when you check the "All Day Event"
the time goes from 12:00AM on the start date to 11:59 PM on the end date,
otherwise, when viewing the event in a table view, it looks like it is
carrying over an extra day.

Any solution for this?
Old May 29th 09, 06:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
Diane Poremsky [MVP]

What version of Outlook?

on an open message All day events should say
Start: date 12AM
End: same_date 12 AM

and span one day on the Day/Week/Month view.

I don't know why it doesn't also say the same day in a table view - but it
really is just a 1 day event.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...s/default.mspx or point your
newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

Old May 29th 09, 07:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]

"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote in message
news
on an open message All day events should say
Start: date 12AM
End: same_date 12 AM

and span one day on the Day/Week/Month view.

My open all-day events don't have a time value for the start and end times on
the Appointment tab but they do have12:00AM for both the Start and End time on
the Recurrence dialogue (when there's a recurrence).

I don't know why it doesn't also say the same day in a table view - but it
really is just a 1 day event.

In a table view, they show 12: AM on the event date for a start time and 12:00
AM the next day for an end time, so the Recurrence dialogue is consistent with
the table view.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Old May 29th 09, 09:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
Diane Poremsky [MVP]

What version of outlook do you use? My recurrences don't show an end date
for the first occurrence, just 12 am start, 12 am end in the recurring
dialog. They have the first start and end date/time in a table view which
is identical to non-recurring events.

Old May 30th 09, 01:31 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
JohnB

I am using Microsoft Outlook 2003. I do not have the event set up as a
recurring event. In the "events" view I set up the start and end formats to
show both the date and the time.

Even for the already loaded holidays the "Duration" field only shows that it
lasts 1 day, but the Start indicates i.e. 5/25/2009 12:00 AM and the End
indicates 5/26/2009 12:00 AM. The problem I'm running into is since this is
a shared calendar of events, when users are looking at the calendar in the
"Events" view, an event that is created and set as an "All Day Event" looks
like is two days in duration when it is really only one. Some users are
becoming confused by it. I'm trying to think of a solution to eliminate
this problem, but logically, an all day event should only go from 12:00 AM to
11:59 PM and not 12:00 AM to 12:00 AM. It is a programming issue in outlook
that needs to be fixed for the "All Day Event" selection. It occurs in
Outlook 2007 as well.
Old May 30th 09, 05:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
Diane Poremsky [MVP]

Are you using the table view? It's fine in the Day/Week/Month view - it's
shown on one day and opened events are 5/25 12 am to 5/25 12 am.

You can make the events 12 AM to 11:59 pm (technically, it would be
11:59:59.9) if you want, or add the duration field to the view so the users
can see its 1 day.

Old May 30th 09, 02:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
JohnB

Yes, it is in the Table view that the start and end fields display the event
as being two days but when I add the duration field, it does only say 1 day.
I'm going to use both those workarounds, but I still think it is a bug that
microsoft needs to fix. I tried calling them and all I could get was the
charge support and I said I'm not going to pay to report a programming bug to
you guys.
Old May 30th 09, 03:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
Diane Poremsky [MVP]

Outlook's table views have always shown the end date this way - I wouldn't
look for it to change anytime soon as it wasn't a priority in the last 14
yrs.

In all honesty, I've heard more about this in the last 3 months than I heard
in the previous 14 yrs. It took a few weeks to even figure out why some
people said the all day event ended a day later - most people seem to use
the Day/Week/Month view, not a table view. Now to figure out why people are
suddenly using table views...

Old June 1st 09, 02:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]

"JohnB" wrote in message

Even for the already loaded holidays the "Duration" field only shows that it
lasts 1 day, but the Start indicates i.e. 5/25/2009 12:00 AM and the End
indicates 5/26/2009 12:00 AM.

That's normal. All my all-day events in both Outlook 2003 display that way.

The problem I'm running into is since this is
a shared calendar of events, when users are looking at the calendar in the
"Events" view, an event that is created and set as an "All Day Event" looks
like is two days in duration when it is really only one. Some users are
becoming confused by it. I'm trying to think of a solution to eliminate
this problem, but logically, an all day event should only go from 12:00 AM
11:59 PM and not 12:00 AM to 12:00 AM. It is a programming issue in
outlook
that needs to be fixed for the "All Day Event" selection. It occurs in
Outlook 2007 as well.

Are these other people in a different time zone or do they not have the same
DST settings you use?
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Old June 2nd 09, 01:51 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
ParalTech

I'm not sure you understand what John is saying. I use the day-week-month
view [Microsoft Office 2007 Outlook--I'm gradually forgetting how 2003
works]. The point is that, once you send an "all day" to OTHER calendars, it
appears on those calendars as two days [no matter the view], but everyone
wants the "all day" setting (instead of some particular time-to-time) because
it appears at the top of the day's list of events, rather than occupying some
space for any duration on your calendar--and crowding the calendar
unnecessarily.
Start a new calendar event, then on the "show" tab [or "access toolbar"
or "ribbon"], click on "scheduling." [I don't remember how this works in
Outlook 2003.] Under "scheduling," despite the appearance on my calendar that
'all day' runs from 6/1/09, 12 AM to 6/1/09, 12 AM [the same day--and appears
only on 6/1 when I 'save and close'], you can see in "scheduling" that the
'start' and 'end' times are actually 6/1/09, 12 AM to 6/2/09 12 AM [and you
cannot effectively edit this setting and, at the same time, preserve the 'one
day' checked box]. Obviously, there's some logic there--'all day' is 24
hours, not zero hours, but Outlook cannot read 12 AM to mean both the
beginning of the day (6/1) AND the end of the same day (6/1), rather than
reading the second time as the next day (6/2). When others recieve that
"appointment," their Outlook reads it [6/1/09 12 AM to 6/2/09 12 AM] as two
days--the event is an 'all day' event that stretches across two days, despite
the fact that it is only a one day event. This happens consistently to
everyone else who is synchronized with my calendar (some of whom run 2003 and
some run 2007) on the same network.
To me, the solution for Microsoft should be that, in the "scheduling"
'start' and 'end' times, i should be able to permanently change and program
the definition of 'start' and 'end' times for "all day"; e.g., I may want to
define "all day" for my Outlook to always consist of 8 AM to 12:00 AM
[meaning the end of the same day]. Or, on the fly, I want to be able to
adjust the definition of 'start' and 'end' of 'all day' in "scheduling" for
particular appointments. (Whoever receives my calendar events, can open them
and see the details of start and end time.)