Outlook crashes on receipt of meeting forwarded notification

Old October 30th 08, 06:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
hirshy

Default Outlook crashes on receipt of meeting forwarded notification

I have a small number of users who, when they receive an email notification
that a meeting request they sent has been forwarded to another user, their
Outlook crashes. We are using Exchange 2007 and Outlook 2003. We have
13,000 users and only a half dozen or so experience this issue.

Scenario is this:
A invites B to a meeting
B forwards request (either automatically because of delegate, or manually)
to C
A's Outlook crashes and when they restart it, they have a notification that
B forwarded the request to C.

Any thoughts/comments are appreciated.
Old November 10th 08, 03:18 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
Br@dley

"hirshy" wrote:

I have a small number of users who, when they receive an email notification
that a meeting request they sent has been forwarded to another user, their
Outlook crashes. We are using Exchange 2007 and Outlook 2003. We have
13,000 users and only a half dozen or so experience this issue.

Scenario is this:
A invites B to a meeting
B forwards request (either automatically because of delegate, or manually)
to C
A's Outlook crashes and when they restart it, they have a notification that
B forwarded the request to C.

Any thoughts/comments are appreciated.

A new feature in Exchange 2007 will deliver a notification to the meeting
organizer when the meeting is forwarded by an attendee to someone else. Nice
feature unless you're the organizer and you're still running Outlook 2003.
Then it's not so nice.

See when Outlook 2003 tries to render the New Mail Desktop Alert for the
Meeting Forward Notification message, Outlook will crash.

This is a known issue that is fixed in Office 2003 SP3, but for those of you
slower moving enterprises I offer these workarounds...

Disable the New Mail Desktop Alert by clicking Tools in the menu bar and
selecting Options. On the Preferences tab click the Email Options button,
click the Advanced E-mail Options button, and uncheck the box next to Display
a New Mail Desktop Alert.
Install Office 2003 SP3.
Setup a content filter in your Exchange antivirus application that will
filter messages with the specific content of the Meeting Forward Notification
message before they reach the organizer's mailbox.

(http://blog.desktopalert.net/blogs/d...fault.aspx?p=2)
Old November 10th 08, 05:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
hirshy

Thanks. I still need to follow up with users but this would certainly
explian why I only have this problem with a couple users - for the most part
we are SP3 but there may be few lingering SP2 systems out there.

Old January 12th 09, 05:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
MLROSS

You stated that "when Outlook 2003 tries to render the New Mail Desktop Alert
for the Meeting Forward Notification message, Outlook will crash" was a known
issue.
Do you know if there was an Outlook 2003 only hotfix for this or is it only
included in Office 2003 SP3. Does Microsoft have this documented as a known
issue somewhere?