transferring contents of a calendar to another calendar

Old April 8th 08, 05:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
Matty

Default transferring contents of a calendar to another calendar

WinXP Pro SP2
MS Outlook 2003 SP3

Hi,

I have two pst files each with their own contacts, tasks, and calendar.
I've been able to transfer my contacts and tasks from one pst file to the
other simply by selecting all and dragging to the contacts and tasks
folders in the other opened data file.

I can't copy/transfer the contents of the calendar though because there's no
option to show the entire calendar and select all (unlike with contacts and
tasks). How do I copy/transfer or move the contents of the calendar (on one
pst/data file) to the calendar (of another pst/data file)? I see that
there's a "copy" option when I right click on a calendar but it just creates
a copy of the entire calendar folder into the other data file resulting in
two calendars in the destination data file. I want the contents to be
copied. I don't want to create another calendar.

I thought I could copy the calendar to the destination data file, name it
calendar1, then delete calendar (in the destination data file), then rename
calendar1 to calendar. But, that's not allowed. MSO says Calendar is a
special something and therefore cannot be deleted.

I know I can export my MSO data to a file and then import into the other
pst/data file but I'm asking for another way because I remember that an MVP
on this board previously said that it's not recommended to export and import
files because the files get corrupted (or something, can't really remember
his exact words. All I'm absolutely sure of is that he didn't recommend
exporting/importing MSO data).

Thank you.

Matty

Old April 8th 08, 06:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
Newbie

There's a way, go to Calendar View first, then from VIEW MENU, select
ARRANGE BY, CURRENT VIEW, by EVENTS. Then just highlight all entries and
select COPY. From the new calendar, select PASTE.

That should do it for you.

Old April 8th 08, 07:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
Matty

Thank you. I tried this before (arranging by events) but noticed that it
didn't list ALL events.

Anyway, I still did it your way except that I had to do it four times in
order to transfer all events. I had to:
1. arrange by events, copy/drag to other calendar
2. arrange by recurring events, copy/drag to other calendar
3. arrange by active appointments, copy/drag to other calendar
4. arrange by category, copy/drag to other calendar

I'm still curious (but no big deal. I can sleep ) though about why
arranging by "events" didn't list ALL events (based on the fact that even
after selecting all and copying/dragging everything, I still got items
listed when I clicked on arrange by "recurring events," "active
appointments," and "category."

Old April 8th 08, 08:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
Brian Tillman

Newbie wrote:

There's a way, go to Calendar View first, then from VIEW MENU, select
ARRANGE BY, CURRENT VIEW, by EVENTS. Then just highlight all entries
and select COPY. From the new calendar, select PASTE.

I'd use By Categrory myself, then select everything with CTRL-A, then
right-click and drag the selection to the other folder.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Old April 8th 08, 08:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
Newbie

Matty, I didn't know by Events doesn't include all calendar entries. I
didn't check when I did it for few users but I never heard anything back
from them so I thought I did okay. Thanks for the heads up.