Outlook Banter

-   Outlook - Calandaring (http://www.outlookbanter.com/outlook-calandaring/)
-   -   Outlook shared calendars not updating properly (http://www.outlookbanter.com/outlook-calandaring/69403-outlook-shared-calendars-not-updating.html)

Jon B March 28th 08 08:16 PM

Outlook shared calendars not updating properly

We’re having a recurring problem where users sharing calendars with each
other are having problems with information not updating correctly.

All users have set sharing permissions for other department members to
Publishing Editor, so they can all add/remove/change appointments created by
anyone.

The problem is with Outlook 2007, running on Exchange 2003.

The first time this happened, a user saw information on her calendar, but no
one else did. She ended up double-booked for a time-slot because she had
added several events to her own calendar, but in everyone else’s view of her
Calendar, that time slot still showed as empty.

I was unable to see the problem, as it had resolved before they contacted
me, and we were unable to resolve it.

The reverse has also happened. A user opened her calendar and saw Appt. A
scheduled for a specific time. Everyone else in the department saw corrected
Appt. B (which had been updated recently) in that time slot, however.

I was able to see this problem in action, although we were again unable to
recreate it. We were able to resolve it by doing the following:

It seems for some reason Outlook was pulling info from her Offline Files
rather than from the server, and not updating the Offline Files, even when
restarting Outlook.

Used 'Clear Offline Files' from Calendar properties, which wiped out
everything on her Calendar. Did 'Send and Receive' and her Calendar
repopulated all entries, with the correct information.

The problem has become more severe lately, in that people are being double
and even triple booked, because information on shared calendars is not
updating correctly for anyone.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as this is incredibly problematic for
our users.

We do have another department that is doing this same thing; sharing and
updating each other’s calendars, and thus far I’ve heard no complaints of
this problem.

Allan Morgan May 20th 08 04:38 PM

Outlook shared calendars not updating properly

Jon B,

Have you received any feedback on this issue?

I have the same problem with a few users and would like to know if you
received a resolution.

I can get around the problem by clearing the offline files or by deleting
the OST file and letting it recreate.

However, the problem comes back over time.

Thanks in advance,

Allan

Dana Rood October 16th 09 05:11 PM

Outlook shared calendars not updating properly

We are experiencing the same issue accross a wide network of users. We have another temp fix deleting the extend.dat and .ost files in the hidden outlook file. But like you said it's just a temp soultion.

Jon wrote:

Outlook shared calendars not updating properly
28-Mar-08

[...]

On Friday, March 28, 2008 3:16 PM
Jon wrote:

[...]

On Tuesday, May 20, 2008 11:38 AM
AllanMorga wrote:

Outlook shared calendars not updating properly
Jon B,

Have you received any feedback on this issue?

I have the same problem with a few users and would like to know if you
received a resolution.

I can get around the problem by clearing the offline files or by deleting
the OST file and letting it recreate.

However, the problem comes back over time.

Thanks in advance,

Allan

"Jon B" wrote:

Professional XML for .NET Developers [WROX]
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...l-for-net.aspx

Diane Poremsky [MVP] October 17th 09 11:58 PM

Outlook shared calendars not updating properly

In the future, please start your own thread and include your versions of
outlook and exchange. The forum you are using pushes the messages to the
Microsoft forums
(http://www.microsoft.com/communities...calendari ng),
and replying to really old messages is more confusing and annoying than
helpful.

Extend.dat should not have a thing to do with this - it holds information
about add-ins that you have installed. Unless maybe an add-in is causing the
problem. What add-ins do you have installed?

Are users caching other users calendars? Check it in Account settings, More
options.

Do you have the most recent updates for both Outlook and Exchange installed?
Outlook 2007 SP2 has fixes for a lot of calendar issues.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

Do you keep Outlook open 24/7? Vote in our poll: