Autocreation of calendar items/tasks for law firm

Old June 26th 07, 08:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
John Simons

Default Autocreation of calendar items/tasks for law firm

I have a law firm client who is running SBS 2003 with OL2003 on the desktops.
They are looking for a way to autocreate calendar items on the group
calendar based on an upcoming trial date. These items can be a various time
intervals prior to the trial date. Is there a way to autocreate (I assume
using macros) these calendar/task items and/or is there an applet already out
there that does this? thanks for any help you can provide.

John Simons
Simons Computer Services
Old July 3rd 07, 12:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

google is your friend.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, John Simons asked:

Old July 3rd 07, 01:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
Lady Dungeness

John -- please stick around; I'm needing help with law-office related
issues, too;

Lady D

"Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]"
wrote in message
google is your friend.

Old July 3rd 07, 02:03 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Geez - can't anyone do anything for themselves anymore??????

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...uling+software

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, Lady Dungeness asked:

Old July 3rd 07, 06:18 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
Lady Dungeness

Milly,

Those law office programs cost a lot of money. Especially for small
practices, why shouldn't we take advantage of the tools in the Office suite?
There's enough power in these applications to allow us to meet our needs,
with a bit of tweaking.

I think what OP was looking for was how to automate a tickler system; when a
trial date comes up, trial-prep deadline schedule based on the case type,
enter the trial date, and bingo, the calendars are populated with calendar
deadlines and schedules for what to do, when to do it, and when the deadline
is.

I'm willing to bet that OP already knew about the commerical products on the
market, the cost, and the conflicts they have with already intstalled
software such as Outlook.

These groups have gotten into a habit lately of saying "Google is your
friend." Just what is that supposed to mean? Does that mean, don't post to
our group because Google is out there? Then why not close down the
newsgroups?

Don't mean to be ornery; just trying to express my point of view.

Lady D
Dungeness are Crabby

Old July 3rd 07, 06:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
John Simons

Yes Milly, I had already Googled that and found the offerings wanting. It
turns out that there is nothing that I could find that did an 'automatic'
populating of the calendar based on a given date. There is one (CompuLaw)
that calculates everything in their proprietary app and then will 'export' to
Outlook. The problem is that their app doesn't support exporting to Public
Folders and is very expensive. I am looking for an MVP or programmer who may
have developed something that is a COM plug-in or something similar that
works something like a macro that will automatically calculate dates prior to
a set trial date and then automatically populate the Outlook calendar with
those appropriate dates (a 'tickler' system as Lady D described). There are
some very sophisticated case management systems that do this as well, but
once again they are very pricey. In this case, Google was not a very good
friend, but rather a tease.

Anyone else who has something constructive to contribute?

Lady D - should I contact you off-list to discuss your law-firm related needs?

wrote in message
Geez - can't anyone do anything for themselves anymore??????

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...uling+software

--Â

Old July 3rd 07, 12:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
Lady Dungeness

Good morning John,

Let's go ahead and keep it on the newsgroup for a while; perhaps it will
attract some other legal users of Outlook. Who knows, we may be the start
of something great!

My needs are modest; I'll be having a solo practice, and don't expect to be
doing any trial work. Document management will be more important to me than
a tickler system. But of course, I'm always happy to offer what I can to
others.

You know programming?

Lady D
Crabs are Deeeeeeeeeeeelicious!

"John Simons" wrote in message
> [...]
| friend." Just what is that supposed to mean? Does that mean, don't post
| our group because Google is out there? Then why not close down the
| newsgroups?
|
| Don't mean to be ornery; just trying to express my point of view.
|
| Lady D
| Dungeness are Crabby
|

| "Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]"
| wrote in message
| Geez - can't anyone do anything for themselves anymore??????

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...uling+software

| --Â
| Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
|
| Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All
| unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without
| reading.
|
| After furious head scratching, Lady Dungeness asked:
|
| | John -- please stick around; I'm needing help with law-office related
| |
| | Lady D
| |
| |
| | "Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]"
| | wrote in message
| | google is your friend.
| |
| | --Â
| | Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
| |
| | Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All
| | unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without
| | reading.
| |
| | After furious head scratching, John Simons asked:
| |
| || I have a law firm client who is running SBS 2003 with OL2003 on the
| || desktops. They are looking for a way to autocreate calendar items on
| || the group calendar based on an upcoming trial date. These items can
| || be a various time intervals prior to the trial date. Is there a way
| || to autocreate (I assume using macros) these calendar/task items
| || and/or is there an applet already out there that does this? thanks
| || for any help you can provide.
| ||

Old July 3rd 07, 08:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
John Simons

I know some programming, but I prefer to leave that up to the
propeller-heads. My strength is more 'big picture' make everything work
together. In terms of your specific needs, may I suggest you look at
Lexis/Nexis Time Matters package. I have a small client that is using it and
they love it.

John

"Lady Dungeness" wrote:

> [...]

| friend." Just what is that supposed to mean? Does that mean, don't post
| our group because Google is out there? Then why not close down the
| newsgroups?
|
| Don't mean to be ornery; just trying to express my point of view.
|
| Lady D
| Dungeness are Crabby
|

| "Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]"
| wrote in message
| Geez - can't anyone do anything for themselves anymore??????

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...uling+software

| --Â
| Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
|
| Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All
| unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without
| reading.
|
| After furious head scratching, Lady Dungeness asked:
|
| | John -- please stick around; I'm needing help with law-office related
| |
| | Lady D
| |
| |
| | "Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]"
| | wrote in message
| | google is your friend.
| |
| | --Â
| | Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
| |
| | Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All
| | unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without
| | reading.
| |
| | After furious head scratching, John Simons asked:
| |
| || I have a law firm client who is running SBS 2003 with OL2003 on the
| || desktops. They are looking for a way to autocreate calendar items on
| || the group calendar based on an upcoming trial date. These items can
| || be a various time intervals prior to the trial date. Is there a way
| || to autocreate (I assume using macros) these calendar/task items
| || and/or is there an applet already out there that does this? thanks
| || for any help you can provide.
| ||

Old July 4th 07, 06:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

If you are looking for a custom solution, then posting to an Outlook programming group would be your best bet. You can also look over code samples at http://www.outlookcode.com to see if anyone has posted something that you find interesting.

Old July 4th 07, 06:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

"Google is your friend" = do your own research and then post here if you find nothing AND add that you have already searched the web and found nothing that suits. That saying also goes for the hundreds of the same questions asked and answered here weekly.