Outlook XP Cal - Time & recurring appt dilemma

Old June 20th 07, 10:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
movrshakr

Default Outlook XP Cal - Time & recurring appt dilemma

Re-entered. Other try produced no result, and I got the quality feedback
email.

Old laptop screen dead. Installed Office XP on new laptop (Vista)-- version
shows in Calendar, Help-About as Outlook 2002 (10.6822.6830)SP3. I moved the
old outlook.pst to the new Vista computer’s correct location. Calendar
opened and all looked to be working well at first, but...

1. Many items were one hour earlier in the new Outlook Having thought about
it, now I think they were all recurring items. I searched for all that were
wrong (lots) and reset them to the correct time.

2. But now the real problem: Trying to do most things with any recurring
item produces: "Can't open this item. The object is not valid." I tried to
open them—they won’t. I can delete them, but only by selecting it and hit
Del. Rt click produces nothing. When I recreate one, ohmigosh, any newly
created recurring item acts the same way. You can create any new recurring
item, but they have this the same quirk. You cannot move it—delivers you a
message: “The item may not have been deleted correctly. If someone sent you
the item, that person’s copy of the item may not be updated. The object is
not valid.”

Hey, is that a clue in that statement? If you physically move outlook.pst
to a new Outlook installation, does it consider that to be another person’s
copy which cannot be updated (and besides, why would Outlook have that
restriction anyway?). But further, even if that were true, why can I not
create valid new recurring appointments?

I have seen some posts in other forums about the ““The item may not have
been deleted correctly…” message. All seem to related in some way to a time
problem (as I had as well. I never saw a resolution though. I do still have
the original pst available from the unusable laptop.

This is an emergency of high order (well to me anyway). I have tons of
recurring appts and use them often. The reminders on them do still operate,
BTW. Please help.

I'll be happy to provide what ever other info you need. I'm desperate. I did
do an overall text web search for the "Can't open this item...". phrase (no
number is included in the error response), to no avail. Really need help
here. My Outlook calendar is my life, and the old machine, on which calendar
worked fine, is unusable as a laptop (screen dead).

Old June 20th 07, 11:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
Brian Tillman

movrshakr wrote:

Re-entered. Other try produced no result, and I got the quality
feedback email.

Old laptop screen dead. Installed Office XP on new laptop (Vista)--
version shows in Calendar, Help-About as Outlook 2002
(10.6822.6830)SP3. I moved the old outlook.pst to the new Vista
computer’s correct location. Calendar opened and all looked to be
working well at first, but...

It is wrong to plop a PST in the default folder for PSTs and expect Outlook
to use it properly. First, the folder is actually immaterial. Second, if
you overwrite an existing PST you likely will corrupt the existing mail
profile. Third, in your case, the OL 2002 PST will have the same size limit
it had before. You're better off creating a Unicode PST and moving your
data from the old PST to the new one.

1. Many items were one hour earlier in the new Outlook Having thought
about it, now I think they were all recurring items. I searched for
all that were wrong (lots) and reset them to the correct time.

Mismatch in the timezone informaton between the two machines, either in the
Windows clock or in Outlook's calendar.

2. But now the real problem: Trying to do most things with any
recurring item produces: "Can't open this item. The object is not
valid." I tried to open them—they won’t. I can delete them, but
only by selecting it and hit Del. Rt click produces nothing. When I
recreate one, ohmigosh, any newly created recurring item acts the
same way. You can create any new recurring item, but they have this
the same quirk. You cannot move it—delivers you a message: “The item
may not have been deleted correctly. If someone sent you the item,
that person’s copy of the item may not be updated. The object is not
valid.”

Hey, is that a clue in that statement?

Could be. If I were in your shoes, I'd start with a new mail profile and
new PST, then copy the data in the folders of the old PST to the new PST.
The exact method has been posted in these newsgroups several times and
Google Groups can find it for you.
--
Brian Tillman

Old June 21st 07, 12:41 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
movrshakr

Brian, Thank you. I will digest that and try to implement. Have to do a
little more research on exactly what you mean, but I think I can figure it
out.

I don't use Outlook mail--only the calendar, and very infrequently the task
list (none in it now). I'm not sure where "the folders" you mention are. I
start Outlook and the calendar shows. Folders in the pst? I'll have to go
to work disecting this.

By Unicode, did you mean Export to some type of file then re-import into the
new system? Or copy what to where (obviously not the pst; that's what I did).

I REALLY appreciate your response; you've given me a path.
Old June 21st 07, 02:17 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
movrshakr

Here is some further info. I put back the original extend.dat and
outlook.pst that were there when Office XP was first installed on this
machine, i.e., about a clean as could be. Everything empty. Even with this
pristine pst, when I create a new recurring appt--the ONLY thing in the
pst--it is an invalid object, behaving just like all the others.

I believe anything I import, open, or create will have this situation. It
appears the problem is somewhere deep inside the Outlook files themselves,
not in the data files.

Is there a way to remove ONLY Outlook form the installed Office XP (=2002),
and reinstall ONLY Outlook? I have got probably 40 hours of customizations
reaccomplished to Word and Excel. It would kill me to lose all that work.
Old June 21st 07, 03:07 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
movrshakr

One last tidbit before bed...Detect and Repair off the Help menu ran but did
not fix the problem.
Old June 21st 07, 02:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
Diane Poremsky

if you only use the calendar - try vista's calendar. It has many of the same
features of Outlook 2007's calendar with a much smaller footprint.

The bad news is there is no really easy way to convert from any version
except Outlook 2007, that I have found yet. Vista's calendar only imports
ics files and only 2007 can export an entire calendar to 1 ics. Importing
single ics files is almost as slow as making new appointments. I'm still
looking for add-ins that will make it easier and that is foolproof - I
haven't found one that likes all of my appointments and meetings.
http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/convertics.htm

FWIW, while Outlook 2002 is said by Microsoft as being "supported" on vista,
that support ends where problems begin. We know there are problems with
mail... no idea how many there are with other functions.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

Outlook Tips:
http://www.outlook-tips.net/

Old June 21st 07, 06:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
Brian Tillman

movrshakr wrote:

Here is some further info. I put back the original extend.dat and
outlook.pst that were there when Office XP was first installed on this
machine, i.e., about a clean as could be. Everything empty. Even
with this pristine pst, when I create a new recurring appt--the ONLY
thing in the pst--it is an invalid object, behaving just like all the
others.

Moving PSTs around is fraught with trouble if those PSTs are part of a mail
profile. Make sure you update the mail profile with the Mail applet in
Control Panel if you want to adjust the PST locations.

I believe anything I import, open, or create will have this
situation. It appears the problem is somewhere deep inside the
Outlook files themselves, not in the data files.

Is there a way to remove ONLY Outlook form the installed Office XP
(=2002), and reinstall ONLY Outlook? I have got probably 40 hours of
customizations reaccomplished to Word and Excel. It would kill me to
lose all that work.

Yes. The Office setup should allow you to do that. It should list all the
Office apps installed and allow you to remove individual apps.
--
Brian Tillman

Old June 22nd 07, 03:12 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
movrshakr

OK. I think the "remove calendar from and reinstall it to" the new, 2nd
computer is my next path. So that I do it right this time, what is the
=best= method to get the calendar entries in the old installation on the 1st
computer--including recurring ones-- transferred to the new Outlook calendar
on the new, 2nd computer? (Not physically--I've got network, etc, but I mean
procedurally). I've read before in this thread and all over the web--it
seems there are many ways to do it, but I don't get a feel for the "most
certain to work" procedure. And I certainly know now not to just move the
pst file over.

Oh, for clarity and responding to other responses here...I don't use the
Outlook mail. I have no mail profiles in Outlook and don't intend to have.
Calendar/Task use only in Outlook.

...some deleted...

Old June 22nd 07, 05:57 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
Brian Tillman

movrshakr wrote:

Oh, for clarity and responding to other responses here...I don't use
the Outlook mail. I have no mail profiles in Outlook and don't intend
to have. Calendar/Task use only in Outlook.

I'm going to comment on this first. If you're using Outlook AT ALL, then
you DO have a mail profile. Outlook simply will not operate without one. A
mail profile and a mail account are not the same thing.

OK. I think the "remove calendar from and reinstall it to" the new,
2nd computer is my next path. So that I do it right this time, what
is the =best= method to get the calendar entries in the old
installation on the 1st computer--including recurring ones--
transferred to the new Outlook calendar on the new, 2nd computer?
(Not physically--I've got network, etc, but I mean procedurally).
I've read before in this thread and all over the web--it seems there
are many ways to do it, but I don't get a feel for the "most certain
to work" procedure. And I certainly know now not to just move the
pst file over.

You have a couple choices. The easier choice would be to just copy the
existing PST to the new PC and configure your mail profile to use it.
Simple, elegant, and if done correctly, gives identical data on the second
PC with all of its the data exactly as it was originally. A second choice
is to create a new PST and copy only the calendar folder to it, then close
that PST and transfer it to the other PC, again adding it to the mail
profile to enable access to it. Proper manipulation of PSTs can be done
ONLY while Outlook is closed. See the following sites:
http://www.slipstick.com/emo/2002/up...#movetonew2002
http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/newprofile.htm
--
Brian Tillman

Old June 22nd 07, 02:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
movrshakr

OK, thanks a lot. I will undertake this on Monday (am off to a family
reunion all weekend). Brian, please keep 'Notify me of replies' turned on
for these posts. If all goes well, I will be done and forever grateful for
your help. If not, I may need to post again. Thanks indeed.