Time & Date drop downs disappear when creating appointment

Old January 27th 06, 06:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
Rich B

Default Time & Date drop downs disappear when creating appointment

Recently had to reformat my HD, clean installed XP Home SP2 and reinstall
Office XP SP3 with all updates to everything. Whenever I try to create an
appointment when the date or time drop down is clicked, it disappears when I
move the cursor to click on a date or time in the list. I can manually enter
the information, and this does not happen with any other applications.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
--
Rich B
Old January 30th 06, 07:04 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Have you tried running detect and repair?

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, Rich B asked:

Old January 30th 06, 09:11 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
Rich B

Milly,
I appreciate your response.

Actually, I did run detect & repair with no solution. About 5 minutes ago,
I was poking around my system. I have Tweak UI installed and was looking at
the mouse settings. The box next to "Activation follows mouse" was checked
and I decided to try unchecking it and that solved the problem.

I didn't look at that before, as I considered the date & time drop downs to
be on the same page as the rest of the Contact, however, I guess Outlook does
not. Strange, that that's the only drop downs that were affected.

Anyway, all is right in the world again, and thanks for your effort.
--
Rich B

Old January 31st 06, 08:23 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
Musawwir Spiegel

I posted a similar question to Rich's on the .public.outlook news
group on January 26, and had gotten no response. I was planning on
posting the question on this news group tomorrow. Tonight, I
downloaded the latest headings in this news group and then did a
find/search for "drop." My discovery of your updating of the
situation contained the perfect answer to my problem.

I had recently had to re-install Win XP on my C: drive and then
reinstall all of my apps. I had re-installed the Power Toys,
including Tweak UI, but had not realized that this was why my ability
to use drop-down calendars in the Outlook Calendar had disappeared.
When I unchecked the Activation Follows Mouse box in Tweak UI, my drop
down utility returned to its useful former self.

I would urge Milly Staples or one of the other MVPs to persuade
Microsoft to create a Knowledge Base article on the subject. I had
searched the Knowledge Base for a solution to the problem but never
found one.

Thank you Rich for telling us your solution.

Musawwir Spiegel

Old January 31st 06, 02:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
Rich B

Thanks for posting this. I thought I was the only one with this problem, as
I couldn't find any similar posts.

Agree wholeheartedly that there should be somethingin the MS Knowledge Base,
since both items are from MS. While I realize that Powertoys are
unsupported, certainly, they could post known issues.
--
Rich B

Old February 14th 07, 11:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
jepjr

Rich,

You are a life saver. I have been pulling my hair out over this issue. It is
exactly as you described. I even went so far as to uninstall tweakui. Now
I'll put it back and try to find the mouse focus box. Thanks much for
posting.
--
Oldergeek

Old February 15th 07, 03:37 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
Rich B

Glad my experience was helpful to others. I possess no expertise in
computers or program nuances, but try to logically (or luckily) solve
problems I run across.

This is an example of the reason that EVERYONE should respond with
solutions or results they've stumbled upon, rather than just thinking, "ok, I
solved my problem" and ignore the folks they turned to for help in the first
place.
--
Rich B

Old February 15th 07, 02:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
Diane Poremsky [MVP]

It's also why people who install applications like TweakUI need to be aware
that it can cause unintended consequences.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

Outlook Tips:
http://www.outlook-tips.net/

Old June 30th 10, 09:21 PM
daltexwave daltexwave is offline
Junior Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich B View Post

wrote:

Milly,
I appreciate your response.

Actually, I did run detect & repair with no solution. About 5 minutes ago,
I was poking around my system. I have Tweak UI installed and was looking at
the mouse settings. The box next to "Activation follows mouse" was checked
and I decided to try unchecking it and that solved the problem.

I didn't look at that before, as I considered the date & time drop downs to
be on the same page as the rest of the Contact, however, I guess Outlook does
not. Strange, that that's the only drop downs that were affected.

Anyway, all is right in the world again, and thanks for your effort.

I had this problem in Outlook and I was able to search and fix the same mouse issue in another program (that I guess is like Tweak UI) -- the program is Norton's System Works, System Optimizer under mouse settings. I unchecked the same box and it magically fixed it! Thanks for the great info -- this has been BUGGING me for quite a while!

Denis P.