Sharing calendar causes Outlook to crash

Old September 16th 06, 04:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
Doug Sanders

Default Sharing calendar causes Outlook to crash

Outlook 2000 on Exchange 5.5.

Client is sharing his appointment calendar with 5 other users.

After this was setup and appeared to be working, his Outlook began to crash.

About five minutes after Outlook is started, "Outlook.exe has genereated
errors and a log file is being created" message appears. Outlook shuts
down.

When the calendar is no longer shared, the problem goes away.

I have run Outlook repair with no success.

Any help would be appreciated. If I'm in the wrong group, please direct me.

Thanks,

Doug Sanders

Old September 16th 06, 01:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
Nikki

What method is being used to "share" the calendar?
Are all clients on the same version of Outlook?

Nikki Peterson

link.net...

Old September 17th 06, 07:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
Doug Sanders

All users are using Outlook 2K.

The share method was select the calendar in the folder list, do 'File',
'Share'. (If I remember right. I am not on site and believe that's how I
did it.}
Names were added to the list of people to share with

After the share was initialized, all recipients were notified about the
share and had access.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Doug Sanders

Old September 19th 06, 01:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
Nikki

I loved this feature and used it myself when I had OL2000.
The feature is called "Net Folders". See information on Slipstick
about this featu http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/share.htm#netfolders

I never had problems, but I know many people did. Have you tried
resetting the Share(s)? Another thing I would look for is a corrupt
meeting (usually a recurring) in one of the shared calendars.

To detect the offending item follow the steps below. NOTE you
would need to check everyones calendar to find the "corrupt" item:

1) Open the mailbox in Outlook

2) Create a New folder (Calendar Test)

3) Do an advanced find on the old calendar and sort events by recurrence.

- Press F3
- Change the Look For: text box to Appointments and Meetings
- Click on the Advanced tab
- Click Field
- Select All Appointment fields
- Select Recurring
- Condition: equals
- Value: Yes
- Click the Add to List button
- Click Find Now

Drop and drag from advanced find listed events one at a time to the new
calendar, when you get to the corrupt item it will give you an error
message. (delete this item)

Move all your calendar items from Calendar Test folder back to original
calendar (these are previously dragged over items).

Contact Organizer.

If this does not fix the Calendar Freeze:

Try starting Outlook with the /safe command line switch. Go to the calendar
folder to see if Outlook freezes.

If there is a freeze I would guess one of the following.

1) A reminder or free/busy information couldn't be cleared. Try starting
Outlook with the /cleanfreebusy and /cleanreminders command line switch
while no items are stored in the calendar folder

2) A corrupted view. Try starting Outlook 1 time with the /cleanviews
command line switch

If there is no freeze when starting with the /safe switch -- visit the
folder you moved the items to and see if Outlook freezes. If it does, there
is still a corrupt item that Outlook can't deal with. If there is no
freeze, then I would guess that file outcmd.dat is corrupt. Rename this file
and restart Outlook. Outlook will recreate a new outcmd.dat file on open.

Outside of that --- beware of Offline Storage (*.OST) files. You might have
to create a new profile and temporarily disable Offline Storage while you
troubleshoot this issue.

Nikki Peterson

ink.net...