Outlook Banter

-   About OutlookBanter (http://www.outlookbanter.com/about-outlookbanter/)
-   -   I cannot open Outlook 2000 - help needed please! (http://www.outlookbanter.com/about-outlookbanter/87495-i-cannot-open-outlook-2000-a.html)

JohnnyH March 11th 09 02:34 PM

I cannot open Outlook 2000 - help needed please!

Hi,

I hope I have posted this in the correct place!

I have used Outlook 2000 on XP Home for about a year now, having switched from outlook express.

Anyway, on Thursday last week, suddenly my I could not open Outlook at all, getting the message ' Unable to display the selected folder or item. Errors have been detected in the file C:\Documents and Settings\MY NAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook.pst. Quit all mail-enabled applications and then use the Inbox Repair Tool.'

I have been on to a help line who tried to use the inbox repair tool, unsuccessfullly, they pointed me in the direction of a programme called Kernel for Outlook, this hasn't worked (yet) and get the feeling that my problems is due to the size of the files in my outlook, ie about 17000 emails in total.

Does anyone know how I can fix this, is it possible to compress the emails even if I can't open Outlook? Any info or guidance much appreciated! I have lots of important emails that I need to access, and this problem has been going on for 6 days now, and is more than frustrating.

Hopefully some clever person out there can help me!

Many thanks in advance.

Johnny