Old August 9th 06, 08:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

Default Failure of Rules Processing -- 2

Sorry about the misunderstanding. Your list of spam were all from Earthlink.
That's why I got confused.

You can filter against BCC if it is appropriate for you. Some ideas.

Where the To or CC line contains
Delete it from server
Click on Contains and enter your address
Click Options and change to Does Not Contain

Use that along with this rule:

Where the To or CC line contains people
Delete it from server
Click Contains and Add *one at a time* all letters and numbers that are not
in your address.

The first rule will block BCC. The second rule only allows mail address to
you only, (a few will slip through). I don't know if this is feasible for
you or not.

Take a look at these links. If nothing is relevant, than an Anti-Spam
program would be your only choice.

How to set up OE Message Rules:
http://www.oeupdates.com/outlook-exp...lock-spam.html

http://www.timeatlas.com/mos/Email/O...tlook_Express/

http://www.jackieswebworks.com/outlo...ss%20notes.htm

Some Message Rule Ideas:
http://www.mindspring.com/~majik/messagerules.htm

Some tips:
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/tips/rules.htm

Message Rules not working?:
http://www.tomsterdam.com/insideoe/faqs/why.htm#rules
--
Bruce Hagen
MS MVP - Outlook Express

"Norman Litell" wrote in message
k.net...
Bruce,
I am afraid that what we have here is a failure to communicate. While I
appreciate your input, I fail to see the relevance of your suggestion to
my
problem; so let me try once more to clarify the issue as I see it.

Spam comes FROM lots of random email addresses, and in my experience, few
of
them are from Earthlink. Whenever I get a new spam message, I add the
sender (or the domain) to my Blocked Senders list. However, it is seldom
that I find the same FROM address in multiple spam messages so populating
the Blocked Sender list this way is likely a "nice" but almost irrelevant
process. For the same reason, using message rules instead of the Blocked
Sender list on the FROM side of the problem seems like a futile effort.

However, what I do find is that I get lots of spam which consistently has
the following basic characteristics:
-- Each message has a different FROM address.
-- Each message is sent to a large list of addressees, either via the TO:
line or the CC: line.
-- There are a number of email address from a variety of domains which
consistently appear in the addressee list.

Since I am observing the same addressees in the TO: and CC: fields, it
seems
to make sense to delete any message that has this characteristic -- that
is,
at least one of the addressees is in my rule's address list. And indeed,
my
rule works part of the time -- this is, when the message is addressed to
ONLY ONE addressee, and that addressee is in my list. (How I get this
message is unclear -- perhaps via a BCC: entry -- but that seems to be
irrelevant since I cannot create a rule relating to a BCC.

My problem is that the rule fails when the message has more than one
addressee. THIS IS NOT LOGICAL IN MY MIND, AND SEEMS TO ME TO BE A
FAILURE
OF THE RULES PROCESSING MECHANISM. That is what I was trying to get at in
this post, and what I tried to explain in detail in the first message in
this post.

Norman

"Bruce Hagen" wrote in message
Norman:

Why have you not tried my suggestion of blocking everyone with an address
From Earthlink, EXCEPT the people you want to allow? I will give it to
you
again.

You need two message rules and the first one must be above the second.

They
should be the first rules after all your Delete it from server rules.

Rule 1:

Box 1: Where the from line contains people
Box 2: Stop processing more rules
Box 3: Click on Contains people and Add the addresses you want to receive
one-at-a time.

Rule 2: (right below rule 1).

Where the from line contains people
Delete it and Stop processing more rules (or Delete it from the server)
Click on Contains People and Add the domain: @earthlink.net

Messages to yourself and anyone else that you wish to allow that uses
earthlink will go to the Inbox. All others will be deleted.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS MVP - Outlook Express
~IB-CA~

"Norman Litell" wrote in message
ink.net...
Bob,

I haven't tried what you suggested, as it misses the basic point of my
problem.

Most of my spam contains a specific and limited set of email addresses

in
either the TO: or CC: fields of the message. Nearly all of these are
of
the
form .

I clearly cannot block all email from standard email domains such as
earthlink, yahoo, hotmail, etc., so your domain-level example does not
address my problem.

To repeat my issue and example once again:

1.. Please look at my post of 8/3/06 at 5:50pm to see an example of
the
rule which has approx 50 email addresses in it.

2.. If I get an email with
as the ONE and
ONLY
addressee, the rule works and the email is deleted.
Similarly, if I get an email with
as the
ONE
and ONLY addressee, the rule works and the email is deleted.

3.. If I get an email with BOTH
AND
as addressees (again, both names are in my
single
multi-address rule), the rule fails.

The only way I can see to make the rules system work for example 3 is
have two separate rules, each of which has only one entry - either

ronk124
or Yered. That leads to a situation where I would need to create

hundreds
of rules instead of just one or two large rules which 'or' the bad
addresses.

Norman

"Opinicus" wrote in message
"Norman Litell" wrote

1. I get lots of spam.
2. From what I can see going through each of these spam messages,

MOST
OF
this spam includes a limited set of addressees in either the TO: or

CC:
part
of the email.
3. I have never received a relevant email which included any one of
this
set of spam-associated email addressees in either the TO: or CC:
address
list.
4. I therefore want to Delete any and all emails which include at
least
one
of these spam-associated addressees in either the TO: or CC: list of
addressees.

I just created a mail rule that says:

/begin rule
Where CC line contains
@spamcop.net
@... [more domains]

Delete it and stop processing more rules.
/end rule

It seems to work.

--
Bob