Old May 7th 06, 02:43 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Jocelyn Fiorello [MVP - Outlook]

Default Outlook 2000 - Can't Delete Messages

What size is your .PST file (assuming you're using a .PST and not an Exchange
mailbox)?

--
Jocelyn Fiorello
MVP - Outlook

"Reactor" wrote:

Hi,

I will start by saying that I am a horrible email manager, and have over
11,353 messages in my inbox. I know, I know.

I have OL 2K installed, and it's up to SP3. Any message from 4/6/06 or
earlier cannot be deleted from the system. I get the old "The messaging
interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persits, restart
Outlook."

If you were to send me an email right now, I would be able to delete it
without a problem.

I restarted Outlook a billion times. No diff.

I rebooted the computer. No diff.

I ran scanpst.exe at least 5 times. No diff.

I made sure my deleted items folder is empty. I emptied my sent items
completely, and dumped them from deleted items. No diff.

I tried to archive older items, intending to create archives for each
calendar quarter. On the first attempt, I got a message saying an error
occurred during the archiving process. I still get that no matter what I
try to archive.

My inbox thinks that there are 8,082 unread items, which is incorrect. I
know this because as I deleted unread items that arrived after 4/6, the
number never changed.

Any suggestions? This is maddening . . . . and I do have messages that I
want to keep, so blowing away the PST and starting all over is something I'd
like to avoid.

Thanks in advance.