Old April 5th 11, 12:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
BillW50

Default How to Fix & Repair Outlook Express Folders and Folders.dbx - In use Compacting Error

In
,
John Agro wrote:
Tried offline and compacting the folders file still failed. Thanks
for the tip about generating a new identity and importing, which is
easier if you don't mind a new identity. I believe you wouild also
need import you mail account settings (logins) and address book as
well if you create a new identity.

I rarely ever compact my OE folders. As I run a registry file to reset
the count to 1, so I never see the message to compact. But yesterday I
went to do so just to do it. I probably haven't done it in a couple of
years.

You guessed it, stops at folders.dbx in use. I read everybodies comments
to repairing this problem. And I found a solution that worked much
better.

First of all, compacting is already done when it gets here. So I have
found just ignoring the error and I don't see anything wrong.

If you don't like ignoring, well you have to this time. But go offline
FILE - WORK OFFLINE (you should be offline anyway before you start).
Now close OE. Now open it again (it still should be offline). And now
try compacting and it shouldn't have any trouble with folders.dbx in use
error.

--
Bill
Centrino Core Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3