Old February 28th 10, 03:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
scotty jennings

Default A problem in OE 6 - can't import messages anymore

"Petar Petrovic" wrote in message

"Ron Hirsch" pisao u poruci diskusione
Hi Bruce,

Creating a new identity did not change anything. The import window was
still totally blank when it came up and I tried to import all the message
files.

This machine will be relegated to my number 2 spot shortly, as I am
starting work on my new system. So I may just ignore this problem.

I see that Windows Live Mail can be used in XP. Do you think it's worth
switching over to it?? Of course, my new machine will be using Windows 7
Pro 64 bit, and will certainly use Windows Live Mail.

Can Windows Live Mail import all my messages from OE6? And when Windows
Mail is installed in XP, does that remove OE6? Or can one choose to
revert back to OE6 if desired? I would hope that this is like the
situation in browsers. One can have several installed, and choose the one
to be the default.

Ron Hirsch

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Bruce Hagen" wrote in message
OE is part of IE6, not IE8. Create a new identity and see if you can
import the messages there, If you can, import all your messages and dump
the current identity.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

"Ron Hirsch" wrote in message
My system C drive on my main machine failed the other day with a
refusal to even have any OS recognized. So I replaced it, and restored
an image from True Image from the recent past.

Apparently there was some small corruptions in that image. And I have a
strange situation in Outlook Express 6.

All works well, except for when I click on FILEIMPORTMESSAGES to
import some dbx files from the past, or another machine running OE6. I
have these DBX files stored in a folder on my main machine, and the
import has always worked very nicely.

But now, when the import screen comes up, it is totally blank - nothing
in it.

I know a work around to do the import. But I'd prefer it it worked
normally. I can create a new folder in LOCAL FOLDERS, and name it to
what I'd like. Then I can go into my DBX archive folder, pick a DBX
file, and rename it to what I just created in my OE. Then replace the
new blank folder with the folder from the archive, by just overwriting
it. That does work - I tried it, and it still does work OK.

I clicked on FILEIMPORTADDRESS BOOK, and a "good:|" window did show
there.

Does anyone know how to "repair" OE6? I am running IE8, so some of the
suggestions I've seen won't work, as they imply that OE is part of IE,
and I don't want to mess with OE8.

Ron Hirsch