Old January 30th 10, 08:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Zac Thompson

Default smtp problem with Charter.net

"Zac Thompson" wrote in message

"Mike" wrote in message

"Mike" wrote in message

"Bruce Hagen" wrote in message

"amdx" wrote in message
I setup OE for charter email.
pop.charter.net
smtp.charter.net
Email worked fine for two days, then I had the following
symptom.
I could not send email, I found that I had an email trapped in
the
outbox that would not send. I deleted the email in the outbox,
and I
received email as normal. Webmail works fine.
Charter doesn't support OE. They won't help.
I found the following pdf that has,
"directions to setup an SMTP authentication in your emal
program"
It uses mail.cs-1.com for incoming mail and smtp.charter.net
for outgoing mail. Then you must check the box for "My server
requires Authentication" Also you must check another box in the
outgoing mail
server window. "use same settings as my incoming mail server"

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'Home',
Server: 'smtp.charter.net',
Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060,
Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

I didn't follow up on the 1-cs lead because I noted the email
address
must be changed to a name @1-cs.com.

At this point I'm looking for a free email address that will
work in OE.
Mike

Just found out if I use Outgoing Mail Server port 465, I can
receive mail
but it takes 20 seconds trying to send the outging first.
The outgoing mail doesn't get sent.
Mike

I just ran across something new to me.
I am trying to get my mothers computer working for her.
So I have her computer on my cable system (Knology).
I'm trying to use the charter.net mail system through the
knology internet provider.
Could that be the problem?
Mike

Yes. Charter is a provider too. It is very unlikely that either
will relay messages for you.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

Right now I am not sure of anything. If it is set up as Knology
wants, and that is what she has at home, then it /should/ work at
that point.

Sorry, I've confused you. She has Charter.net at home, I have Knology
here
where I'm trying to access her (charter email).
Mike

OK. It must be set up as Charter wants. But you don't have Charter for
a provider so it won't work at your location. You posted this:

Just found out if I use Outgoing Mail Server port 465, I can
receive mail
but it takes 20 seconds trying to send the outging first.
The outgoing mail doesn't get sent.

I asked if there was a new error message. Is there? Possibly a 550
relaying error?

Hi Bruce,
I did not see any 550 relaying error, and I went back to port 465
and it no longer will receive if there is mail in the outbox.
hrrrumph, Mike

Elaborate on this conflicting statement:

it takes 20 seconds trying to send the outging first.
The outgoing mail doesn't get sent.

Does it go or not? Does it go but also remain in the Outbox?
--

Does Not go.
Mike