Old May 1st 09, 12:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
WhatsUp31415

Default Why OE does not use my specified fonts?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
You're posting in Plain Text so what you see when
you're composing has no effect on what others (or you)
see when you're reading the post.

I guess my original posting was unclear. I am interested in controlling the
font used when I am composing using Reply Group.

I understand that with Plain Text, I cannot control the font that others see
when reading the posting. Nonetheless, I expect my font settings to
determine how __I__ read the posting; and they do.

There is no problem with the font when I compose a new posting. But my font
setting is ignored when I compose a reply (i.e. Reply Group). See my first
posting and my follow-up to Michael's response to determine if I have set
all the necessary options.

Now, if you posted in RichText (HTML) [....]

First, when I try to send a posting using HTML, I get a pop-up from OE that
indicates that many news readers "cannot display HTML". The pop-up
recommends using Plain Text for posting to "widely read newsgroups".

I am not sure what "cannot display HTML" means. Your HTML posting was sent
as multipart message: the first part is text/plain; the second part is
text/html. I believe that is common, if not standard; and I believe that
most, if not all, modern mail/news readers parse multipart messages,
displaying the part that suits them.

So arguably, "cannot display HTML" simply means that the recipient will see
the plain text form of the message, which will lack some richness.

Second, however, when I did use HTML, I got complaints from frequent and
valued contributors in the newsgroups that I frequent because it made it
difficult for them to "quote" parts of my messages in their responses.

In fact, to compose this reply, I had to copy-and-paste from your HTML text
and insert my own "" indentation. No big deal for me; I'm used to doing
that, having used a dumb mailer on Unix systems for decades. But
apparently, that's too much trouble for many people that I interact with.

----- original messages ------

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote in message
You're posting in Plain Text so what you see when you're composing has no
effect on what others (or you) see when you're reading the post.

Now, if you posted in RichText (HTML), your posts would look like this one
(if read in OE).
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

WhatsUp31415 wrote:
When I do Reply Group, OE seems to ignore my font selection.

How can I coerce OE to use my font selection?

My intent is to always use a non-proportional font, specifically Courier
New.

That works fine when I compose a new message.

But when I do Reply Group, I get a proportional font, presumably Arial.

This is true whether or not I select the Send option "Include message in
reply".

I have the following settings:

1. Read Fonts Fonts:

Western European
Proportion font: Courier New
Fixed-width font: Courier New
Font size: Medium
Encoding: Western European (Windows)
Default encoding: Western European
Pressed Set as Default

2. Send:

Uncheck "Reply to messags using the format in which they were sent"

3. Send Mail Sending Format
Send News Sendind Format:

Select Plain Text
Setting:
MIME with Encode: None
(Also tried Uuencode)

4. Compose:

Mail: 10pt Courier New
News: 10pt Courier New

I am using MS Win XP Pro 2002 SP3 with OE6 revision 6.00.2900.5512 (xpsp
080413-2105) with all patches through the end of March.