Old March 28th 09, 06:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear [MS MVP]

Default default email client is not properly installed

[Call him on the phone & tell him to click on the + sign to see them!]

Bruce Hagen wrote:
Yes he did. Please read the entire thread in the link below. Start your
own
new thread if you still have problems instead of hijacking this old and
finished thread. Thank you.

http://groups.google.com/group/micro....microsoft.com

"chowder" wrote in message
I'm having the same problem...did you ever get it resolved?

"remar" wrote:

When I click on an email hyperlink in a browser window (IE7), I get a
Windows
Internet Explorer error message that says: "Could not perform this
operation
because the default email client is not properly installed".

I have two machines with nearly identical software and settings on each
one.
This problem just cropped up on only one machine. The other is fine...
can click on an email hyperlink in IE7 and my email client, Outlook
Express,
pops up.

I have been through all of the OE settings on each machine. They are
identical. I have followed EVERY step on this page (
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306098 ) to make OE my default client
(even though it always has been and has been working fine up until
today,
when I noticed this inability to send mail from a link in a web page).
have tried all three methods of registering OE as default shown on that
page
and I also checked the registry to see if I needed to add a data string
the default mail client key (instructions at the bottom of that page).
The
value was already there.

I have also opened Folder Options|File Types in Windows Explorer and
checked
the values for URL:MailTo Protocol. The value reads as it should...
application: "C:\PROGRAM FILES\OUTLOOK EXPRESS\MSIMN.EXE" /mailurl:%1
And the path to msimn.exe is correct.

Otherwise, OE is functioning perfectly for me. I can also use the Send
feature with no problem.

Does anyone have an idea how to fix this?