Old April 21st 10, 11:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
Diane Poremsky [MVP]

Default Hidden Outlook reminders

In Outlook 2003 and later the reminders are in a single window. The reminder
window comes up on the screen but doesn't always take focus if you are busy
in another program - most users find it annoying when the reminder comes up
as they are typing.

If you want the reminder window to come up on the screen, you need to have
the reminder window in the background, not minimized. When its minimized, it
will only flash on the task bar.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

New Poll: What type of email account is your main account?

"barry" wrote in message
Does anyone from Microsoft read these issues? What is the workaround for
this? Will this issue be fixed?

I'm tired of missing meetings/conf calls because the reminders are not
working. I guess they are "working" but are hidden behind windows... thus
I'm not reminded.

This is VERY poor design.

"Lindsay Graham" wrote:

On 23 Feb 2010 at 12:30, Lindsay Graham wrote:
My wife has Outlook 2003 under Windows XP. When she had Outlook 2000
(or 2002, I'm not sure), each reminder arrived in its own pop-up
window,
but in Outlook 2003, they appear only in the taskbar (and therefore
tend
not to get noticed) and several reminders are grouped together. I've
read all the recent threads on this topic, and share the frustration of
those who just cannot understand why MS would remove the option to have
pop-up reminders.

In several threads, jmaxon wrote:
"This is annoying me as well. It appears to be an issue with Windows 7
(Win7), not Outlook. By default, Win7 combines the taskbar buttons. By
doing so the Reminder gets embedded into the "grouping" behind the
Outlook icon. This makes the reminder difficult to notice.

"If you change the "Taskbar buttons" setting under the "Taskbar and
Start Menu Properties" to "Never combine," then the grouping separates
and the reminder pops-up in front of whatever else you have open.

"I'm hoping that Microsoft comes up with a fix for this, as I'm sure
more and more people are going to become annoyed."

Is there a similar solution in Outlook 2003/Win XP?

Lindsay Graham
Canberra, Australia

I've had no replies to this post, but I have done quite a bit of
research, which unfortunately seems to indicate that there is no
workaround for this Outlook deficiency. I've seen a *lot* of people
complaining about Microsoft's decision to change from pop-up to taskbar.

Has anyone here heard of a workaround? -- I guess I thought the change
had been so unpopular that someone would have found a way to bring back
the pop-up option.

In the absence of a workaround, what is the best way to get the message
through to Microsoft in the hope that they will do something about it?

Here's hoping.

Lindsay
.