Old January 30th 10, 07:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Zac Thompson

Default smtp problem with Charter.net

"Zac Thompson" wrote in message

"Mike" wrote in message

"Mike" wrote in message

"Bruce Hagen" wrote in message
Snip

Just found out if I use Outgoing Mail Server port 465, I
can receive mail
but it takes 20 seconds trying to send the outging first.
The outgoing mail doesn't get sent.

I asked if there was a new error message. Is there? Possibly a
550 relaying error?

Hi Bruce,
I did not see any 550 relaying error, and I went back to port
465
and it no longer will receive if there is mail in the outbox.
hrrrumph, Mike

Elaborate on this conflicting statement:

it takes 20 seconds trying to send the outging first.
The outgoing mail doesn't get sent.

Does it go or not? Does it go but also remain in the Outbox?
--
Does Not go.
Mike

Is Send Messages Immediately checked? I cannot fathom that if the
message is not sent due to incorrect settings or the like, that
there would not be an error message.

Sorry Bruce, using port 465 for Outgoing mail will receive email if
you wait
long enough.
It will Not send email, it stays in the outbox and does Not go to the
recipient.
The error message is;

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'Home', Server:
'smtp.charter.net',
Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060,
Error Number: 0x800CCC0E
Mike

Port 25 works exactly the same as port 465 (shown above).
Mike

Your SMTP port has nothing to do with receiving mail. Try these
settings "to the letter".

Under SERVERS tab .......
Incoming mail (POP3) is pop.charter.net
Outgoing mail (SMTP) is smtp.charter.net
Log on using Secure Password Authentication - Charter e-mail servers do
not use SPA. Do not place a check within that box or an error will
occur.
My server requires authentication - Charter residential e-mail servers
do not require this authentication setting to be used. Do not place a
check within that box or an error will occur.
Under Advanced tab .........
Incoming mail (POP3) is 110
Outgoing mail (SMTP) is 25
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

All those are and were set -exactly- as you prescribed.
Mike

The only thing I know of that it may be is e-mail scanning.

Turn off e-mail scanning in your anti-virus program. It is a redundant
layer of protection that eats up CPUs, slows down sending and receiving,
and causes a multitude of problems such as time-outs, account setting
changes and has even been responsible for loss of messages. Your
up-to-date A/V program will continue to protect you sufficiently. For
more, see:
http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3

http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm

Note that for some AV programs, it may be necessary to uninstall the
program and reinstall in Custom Mode and uncheck e-mail scanning when the
option arises.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]