Old September 15th 09, 10:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Default How do I add +1 to all my contact numbers?

No. I'm saying that the phone number format in Outlook is not the problem
and you have no need to change it. International (or canonical) format is
the preferred way to store phone numbers because it is the universal
standard. That's why Outlook uses it.
If your dialing software cannot dial your numbers correctly, it has nothing
to do with Outlook. Outlook does participate in that process. If you are
using the Windows dialer, your problem is that you don't have your operating
system's dialing rules set correctly. If you are using some other dialing
software, the problem is with its configuration. Outlook does not dial your
numbers and we have no way of knowing which dialer you are using.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Slider76" wrote in message
So you are saying that if I go in through Control Panel and edit my
dialing
rules, it will automatically place a +1 in front of all my phone, fax and
cell numbers?

Or is this something that needs to be done before you start populating the
contacts database?

Thank you.

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

The problem is not the format of your phone numbers. It is with your
dialing
rules.
Not an Outlook issue.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Slider76" wrote in message
I have seen posts where people want to remove the +1 in the phone number
but
not add it. It is difficult to give a history of how my contact phone
numbers
ended up without the +1 as I have used many versions of Outlook and
many
third party CRM's in the past. I am currently using Office 2007 with
Outlook
and have about 2,000 contacts with phone, fax and cell numbers for
each.
About .05% of these are local calls so every time I make a call from my
cell,
I have to wait for the message that says, "please dial a ! before your
number.....".

Is there a way to edit the phone, fax and cell phone field for all
contacts
at the same time?

If I recall correctly, ACT had a "global edit" command that made this
type
of batch editing very easy. Although, I also seem to remember finding a
way
to edit the name or address of a group of contacts in Outlook at the
same
time but there were at least ten times as many steps to accomplish the
same
thing.