Old May 12th 09, 05:23 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Jack B

Default Is it possible for OE to lose messages I sent

Bruce,

There's the rub -- I am not absolutely positive I sent the message.

Well, anyway, I will now be a little more attentive all the way around,
including compacting, size, etc.

Question: If I backup (via Explore using copy/paste to another folder on
the HD) the dbx files and later want to open one without disturbing the
current same dbx file, what's the best way to do that?

Jack

"Bruce Hagen" wrote in message
There are recovery tools, but if you are not even sure you actually sent the
message do you want to go that route? You /may/ find the message with one of
these tools. Note that only DBXpress has a chance if the folders have been
compacted.

Macallan Outlook Express Extraction:
http://www.insideoe.com/resources/tools.htm#macallan

DBXtract:
http://www.oehelp.com/DBXtract/Default.aspx

DBXpress: {much faster for large files}
http://www.oehelp.com/DBXpress/Default.aspx
--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

"Jack B" wrote in message
Bruce,

You move messages out of Sent Items

Yes -- I try not to accumulate more than 100 messages there.

compact often?

Approx once/wk.

Do not archive mail in the Inbox or Sent Items. Create your own user
defined

folders and move the messages you wish to save to them. Empty Deleted
Items
folder daily. Although dbx files have a theoretical capacity of 2GB, I
recommend about a 300MB max for less chance of corruption.

Yes to all above. No .dbx file is 300 mb at present.

"Bruce Hagen" wrote in message
It is possible. You move messages out of Sent Items which is good. Do you
compact often? Do you do all of the following?

General precautions for Outlook Express:

Do not archive mail in the Inbox or Sent Items. Create your own user
defined
folders and move the messages you wish to save to them. Empty Deleted
Items
folder daily. Although dbx files have a theoretical capacity of 2GB, I
recommend about a 300MB max for less chance of corruption.

Information about the maximum file size of the .dbx files that are used by
Outlook Express:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=903095

After you are done, follow up by compacting your folders manually while
working *offline* and do it often.

Click on Outlook Express at the top of the folder tree so no folders are
open. Then: File | Work Offline (or double click Working Online in the
Status Bar). File | Folder | Compact all folders. Don't touch anything
until
the compacting is completed.

Turn off e-mail scanning in your anti-virus program. It is a redundant
layer
of protection that eats up CPUs and causes a multitude of problems such as
time-outs and account setting changes. Your up-to-date A/V program will
continue to protect you sufficiently. For more, see:
http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3

In Tools | Options | Maintenance: Uncheck Compact messages in background
and
leave it unchecked. {N/A if running XP/SP2}.

And backup often.

Outlook Express Quick Backup (OEQB Freeware)

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]
Imperial Beach, CA

"Jack B" wrote in message
Is it possible for OE to lose some messages I sent. I was checking SENT
for
a sent message and couldn't find it (actually, I move messages out of
SENT
after a while and put them into SAVED). I'd swear I sent it, but now I'm
wondering.

Jack