Old March 16th 09, 08:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Gary

Default question on rules on unattended mailbox

"F.H. Muffman" wrote in message
.com...
I have an unattended mailbox that sends emails to some customers.

sometimes the email is not in the sytem correctly, and you get a NDR
message.

I have created a rule in the mailbox to forward the NDRs to a certain
user, but was wondering if we have to open outlook for that unattended
mailbox to process its rules?

Maybe.

If the rules are server based, then no.

If the rules are client based, then yes.

When you create a rule, if it says 'This rule is a client-only rule, and
will process only when Outlook is running.' then it is a client-only rule.
Also, client-only rules say '(client-only)' in the list of rules.

--
f.h.
Microsoft Outlook MVP

I don't see anything about client-only.
I have Outlook 2007 (connected to exchange 2003) and I right-click on the
message and select "Create Rule".
so I guess that is a client-only rule, but I do not see how to tell for
certain.

if that is client only, ow do I create a server based rule in outlook 2007?

gary