Old February 7th 09, 07:37 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
remar[_2_]

Default default email client is not properly installed

When comparing my pc with the error to my pc without the error, I see a
couple of noticeable differences between the two computers in the mailto
branch.

First difference is with the "EditFlags" string:
The good pc has "EditFlags"=dword:00000002
The pc w/error has "EditFlags"=hex:02,00

The second difference is:
The good pc has ,-910"
The pc w/error does not have this entry at all

Is it advisable to make these changes, so that the string values are
identical on both machines?

"remar" wrote:

Hi Bruce
Thanks for the response, but unfortunately, no joy. The other links were
either ones I had tried or ones that pertained to a different OS or different
Browser version. Some links were for issues that I am not having.

One link has gotten me closer, however, and I won't know until I have better
access to my second computer ... translation= my wife is playing a game on
that one right now.

The link I still have to investigate further is this one --
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/MailtoProtocol.htm and its instructions for this
registry branch -- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\mailto

In comparing my machine with the issue to my other machine that doesn't have
this issue, I see different string values in this branch, namely
,-910" exists in the pc without issue but not
in the pc with issue. I am tempted to add it to the pc with the issue to see
if it fixes things.

I'll let you know how it went. In the meantime, please share any other
ideas. This is a real puzzler.
-Thank you

"Bruce Hagen" wrote:

You did link 3, but check the rest.

Make OE the default e-mail client:
http://www.oehelp.com/oedef.aspx

For links in e-mail:
http://www.oehelp.com/oelnk.aspx

And:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306098

Restores OE to the E-mail clients list in Internet Options
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/oe_client.htm

If you have MS Outlook installed, also see:
http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#13

"Send To" and E-mail Links Do Not Work Using Outlook Express as Default:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306098

Multiple browser windows open when you click on a mailto: link:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/MailtoProtocol.htm

Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs | Set Program Access and Defaults |
Custom + Down Arrow | Select the radio button for Outlook Express.

Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs | Set Program Access and Defaults |
Custom + Down Arrow | Choose a default Web browser. Select the radio button
for Internet Explorer.
--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

"remar" wrote in message
When I click on an email hyperlink in a browser window (IE7), I get a
Windows
Internet Explorer error message that says: "Could not perform this
operation
because the default email client is not properly installed".

I have two machines with nearly identical software and settings on each
one.
This problem just cropped up on only one machine. The other is fine... I
can click on an email hyperlink in IE7 and my email client, Outlook
Express,
pops up.

I have been through all of the OE settings on each machine. They are
identical. I have followed EVERY step on this page (
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306098 ) to make OE my default client
(even though it always has been and has been working fine up until today,
when I noticed this inability to send mail from a link in a web page). I
have tried all three methods of registering OE as default shown on that
page
and I also checked the registry to see if I needed to add a data string to
the default mail client key (instructions at the bottom of that page).
The
value was already there.

I have also opened Folder Options|File Types in Windows Explorer and
checked
the values for URL:MailTo Protocol. The value reads as it should...
application: "C:\PROGRAM FILES\OUTLOOK EXPRESS\MSIMN.EXE" /mailurl:%1
And the path to msimn.exe is correct.

Otherwise, OE is functioning perfectly for me. I can also use the Send To
feature with no problem.

Does anyone have an idea how to fix this?