Old June 20th 07, 01:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.general,microsoft.public.outlook
Stroller

Default "A program is trying to access e-mail addresses you have stored in Outlook" warning message

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 14:29:35 +0100, Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook] wrote
(in article ):

The warning message has been a fact of life for developers working with
Outlook for more than 7 years.

This is strange. Although I don't work on site myself - and as much as
possible avoid dealing with unusual proprietary applications like this one
-I believe this message to have only started appearing on this one machine
since some recent updates. The site is probably somewhat behind on its
updates, so if I'm right one might guess this to be related to an update
released by MS within the last year.

It's shocking that a CRM vendor would suggest
using a hack to work around it.

I agree!!

They should instead be writing code that
avoids it. Your options, as a client, however, are limited to suppressing the

security prompts and using an Exchange folder to relax Outlook security. See
http://www.outlookcode.com/article.aspx?ID=52.

Thanks. This article looks very comprehensive, and I will refer to it when I
follow-up with my reply to the vendor.

Could someone possibly clarify:

Strategies appropriate for ISVs include, in order of descending
security and complexity:
Use Extended MAPI instead of Outlook objects, Simple MAPI, or CDO
1.21 for all code that potentially triggers security prompts. This
is the most secure strategy and is what Microsoft recommends for
external applications; it used by tools such as PDA synchronization
applications.

Will this ensure that the prompt is not triggered?

Stroller.